What's new

iOS 11 is Only Marginally Slower on the iPhone 5s

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone 5s running iOS 11.JPG

Ars Technica has a great article today about how iOS 11 runs on the slowest device that supports it, the iPhone 5s. It’s a really helpful article for anyone who is nervous about installing iOS 11 on their trusty iPhone 5s.

According to the benchmark tests performed by Ars Technica on the iPhone 5s, while the phone is slower when opening key apps in iOS 11 that it was with iOS 10.3.3, it is not significantly, or unworkably slower, with Ars Technica concluding that “using iOS 11 on an iPhone 5s doesn’t feel bad.” However, they do admit that performing background tasks such as updating apps or downloading music does make the phone feel somewhat “sluggish.” As far as performing everyday duties such as taking pictures, sending e-mails, and scrolling through your apps is concerned, it is “more than responsive enough to be usable.”

And when comparing the load times for various apps on the iPhone 5 or iPhone 4s with iOS 10 or iOS 9, the iPhone 5s is still much faster, even on iOS 11.

Benchmarks table: Ars Technica

Source: iOS 11 on the iPhone 5S: Slower, but not quite slow

ugh, hope it doesn't have the same problem on the 6. Mine is already having a hard time with iOs 10 :(

My 6S Plus is still very fast with 11. I'm just going to have to get used to the changes. I'm topping out at 10.3.3 for my 5S

That's a shame, l wanted him to be my guide on the good the bad and the ugly
:)