What's new

iMessage vs. Text Message

gilstrr

Reaction score
My new 4S is only sending iMessages and not Text Messages. Any solutions or guesses what may be the malufunction?

Gixer7502 said:
No malfunction. iMessage is selected by default if the recipient is able to receive them.

True but the other party has to have ios 5 and have imessage enabled

iMessage is working fine and it does send to my son who also has iOS5, but anyone I send to without iOS5 is not getting my texts.

the phone seems to know who has iOS5 because it has greyed out in the text box either iMessage or Text Message, but my Text Messages are simply not being received or sent...either way, they are not getting them.

Yeah you did say that but you also said its on by default and it's not

No I said it selects iMessage by default if the recipient is able to receive them.
It's obvious this person already has it activated as its selecting iMessage for him/her. Therefore your comment is pointless.

I'm on the phone with AT&T now, so it appears that the problem is with my plan that was changed from Family to an Individual right after I transferred over to the 4S.

Yeah you did say that but you also said its on by default and it's not

For iOS5 users I texted it was on by default for my phone. I had to turn it off in the options (offers no benefit and adds another company in the channel my texts go through).