What's new

imessage claims pictures are delivered, but they are never recieved.

lenabanana

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
This is my first post here, I come from a different forum that has been unable to help me with my problem for several days so perhaps someone here has some knowledge.

I use my phone constantly, sending several pics a day.
A couple days ago I discovered that people where not getting my pics.
The pic is sent, through imessage and claims to be delivered but the recipient never gets it.

I have tested it with phones side by side, and while the pic is sending the recipient gets the "..." as if I'm typing, once the message sends and says delivered on my end, the recipient gets nothing and the ... disappears.
This is the same with all media files, video and voice notes. I have tried all sizes of picture and this person had no problem receiving pics for me before.
Normal text messages seem to go through, we have tried probably 40 pics over the last few days, not 1 has gone through.
If I turn imessage off and uses MMS it sends fine, to the same person and to any one else.

I have tried turning it off and reactivating it, tried just on wifi or just on 3g... no change.

Today I also found a new issue which may or may not be related, when I try to use facetime on the callers end it shows that the recievers video is paused, on the recievers end it freezes on accept/decline.
I am unable to place or receive facetime calls.

I am using an iphone 4 with ios 5.0, it is jailbroken but nothing new installed anytime recently.
All of these features where working fine a week ago.

what carrier are you using and what devices are you sending the pics to? also it could be worth checking the mms settings that they are correct

what carrier are you using and what devices are you sending the pics to? also it could be worth checking the mms settings that they are correct

As I mentioned MMS sends fine, so its pretty safe to say it is neither carrier or MMS settings that are the issue.
I am using Rogers, but the network is fully operational, friends using rogers iphones can send me pics and all normal text and mms are working fine, it is just imessenger and facetime.
Also, as I mentioned these problems continued when i killed all connections and used just wifi, so certainly not carrier related.

As I mentioned MMS sends fine, so its pretty safe to say it is neither carrier or MMS settings that are the issue.
I am using Rogers, but the network is fully operational, friends using rogers iphones can send me pics and all normal text and mms are working fine, it is just imessenger and facetime.
Also, as I mentioned these problems continued when i killed all connections and used just wifi, so certainly not carrier related.

I have no trouble sending photographs or videos via iMessage. The person on the other end has no trouble receiving or sending either. It may have something to do with your phone. I'd suggest ringing apple customer services.

iHolophyte

Ok friends, after days of attempts to fix it, I have successfully fixed the problem.

Just a run through of symptoms:
imessage texts send with no problem, any media (pic, video or audio) claim they are delivered but the recipient NEVER gets them.
problem is not isolated to one person, i could not send anyone with imessenger any media.
mms works fine

IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOUR PROBLEM, AND YOU ARE JAILBROKEN... here is how I fixed it.
FOR ANYONE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE... HERE IS THE FIX
I am on ios 5 semi tethered jailbreak
I do not know exactly which of these steps did the trick, but here is what I did
1. updated color keyboard (cydia prompted me that there was an update, so I updated it)
2.uninstalled siri0us (in cydia)
3. uninstalled erika utilities (in cydia - this must have come with something as I dont remember installing it myself)
4. turn off the device, and boot in untethered mode (that is without plugging it into a computer and running redsnow, this only works with semitether - which if you are tethered jailbroken you should get)
5. send an imessage picture message while in untethered boot (this is not the same as safemode)
6. reboot the device tethered with redsnow
VOILA, every pic msg has gone through flawlessly since. I have yet to try facetime but I am confident it will also work.

Ok friends, after days of attempts to fix it, I have successfully fixed the problem.

Just a run through of symptoms:
imessage texts send with no problem, any media (pic, video or audio) claim they are delivered but the recipient NEVER gets them.
problem is not isolated to one person, i could not send anyone with imessenger any media.
mms works fine

IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOUR PROBLEM, AND YOU ARE JAILBROKEN... here is how I fixed it.
FOR ANYONE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE... HERE IS THE FIX
I am on ios 5 semi tethered jailbreak
I do not know exactly which of these steps did the trick, but here is what I did
1. updated color keyboard (cydia prompted me that there was an update, so I updated it)
2.uninstalled siri0us (in cydia)
3. uninstalled erika utilities (in cydia - this must have come with something as I dont remember installing it myself)
4. turn off the device, and boot in untethered mode (that is without plugging it into a computer and running redsnow, this only works with semitether - which if you are tethered jailbroken you should get)
5. send an imessage picture message while in untethered boot (this is not the same as safemode)
6. reboot the device tethered with redsnow
VOILA, every pic msg has gone through flawlessly since. I have yet to try facetime but I am confident it will also work.

Jail broke problem then. Says a lot!

iHolophyte

Jail broke problem then. Says a lot!

iHolophyte

That there are bugs in some of the thousands of free tweaks and apps that people have so kindly created and give away for free?
No one is perfect, well worth what it enables me to do.

Hi everyone :)

I have the same problem with iMessage. I have an untethered jailbreak of iOS 5 (I've had the untethered jailbreak since it was released by redsn0w and it's the b3 version of it), and I was able to send pictures through iMessage fine until a few days ago. I don't remember what I installed from Cydia the day iMessage stopped delivering my pictures, but I don't have siri0us or Erika utilities installed.

What do I do? I relied heavily on sending pictures/videos through iMessage. I also don't know how to go into "untethered boot mode" if that's any different from safe mode.

I have the same problem as you, iMessage tells me my pictures are delivered but my recipient doesn't receive them.

Please help!

I know I am going to get grumbled at for this.... UNjail break it...

NinnJinn said:
I know I am going to get grumbled at for this.... UNjail break it...

I'd really rather not do that. I'm so in love with it jailbroken that I'd give up sending pictures through iMessage. Lol

I'd like a fix, though. Hopefully someone can help.

Last edited:
Hey Brrrrbzy
I actually found that the problem had nothing to do with the items I uninstalled as the problem started up again and I would solve it by launching my phone untethered (without jailbreak apps), sending a message and then booting it up tethered again. Since your phone is jailbroken untethered you don't really have the option to do this.
I continued on this way until I deleted a bunch of stuff in cydia and about week later upgraded to 5.0.1 untethered jb.
I have not had the problem since I did the cydia delete so if you want to send me a list of what you have installed I can give you a list of possible culprits based on what you have that I had installed when the problem occurred vs what I have now.
Also, do you have iblacklist or onavo installed?

lenabanana said:
Hey Brrrrbzy
I actually found that the problem had nothing to do with the items I uninstalled as the problem started up again and I would solve it by launching my phone untethered (without jailbreak apps), sending a message and then booting it up tethered again. Since your phone is jailbroken untethered you don't really have the option to do this.
I continued on this way until I deleted a bunch of stuff in cydia and about week later upgraded to 5.0.1 untethered jb.
I have not had the problem since I did the cydia delete so if you want to send me a list of what you have installed I can give you a list of possible culprits based on what you have that I had installed when the problem occurred vs what I have now.
Also, do you have iblacklist or onavo installed?

I sent you a private message with a short list of what I have installed through Cydia.

I had this problem. Tried resetting phone and jail break again, put apps on and still had the problem, and after numerous restarts still had the problem. After comparing 3 jail break phones side by side and 2 had the problem, one didn't we started looking for what the 2 had for cydia apps the one didn't. We found what was causing our issue. The 2 both had a app called copic.

Once we removed copic, turned the phones off and on iMessage worked immediately again. So if you have copic on your phone, follow steps above and it probably will start working again.

Copic is a app that puts your contact pictures in the message section in your text message. First thing I would check if having this issue is apps that change your text settings on the phone.

Thanks for the tip, Trucks! I thought about installing copic but in view of your post I will not install.