What's new

Icloud

sheils

Reaction score
I had my phone and iPad for several months now but am still a novice at this. What I would like to do is be able to send some photos to my iPad. Since I use my iPhone to take photos a lot. My understanding is that photos need to be stored in iCloud than put to other devices? My think though I tend to go back and forth if I want to keep a photo. So would I have that option to delete? I updated my iPad and I see it says you can delete from photo stream, same difference as iCloud? I apologize with all these simple questions.

If both your iPhone and iPad have iOS 5.1 installed and they both, at some point during the day, connect to WiFi then they both can share any photos taken automatically. There is NO user actions required for this feature to kick. All you have to do is setup both devices on the same iCloud account. Toggle PhotoStream On for both devices using that account and make sure both are on WiFi at some point to do the syncing. From then on you simply click on PhotoStream from each of the devices to copy the photo to your Camera Roll. If you want to delete a photo from PhotoStream, you can do that from either device and it will then delete it on the other device the next time it syncs.

I have 5 devices sharing the same PhotoStream and it works very well for me.

Thank you for the info. It would be great to have those nice photos on both devices or one.

I do have another question. Is there something to worry about of the storage of ICloud by both devices? I sure hope I don't have to upgrade

You get 5GB free. PhotoStream only keeps the last 30 days or 1000 photos. Which should give you plenty of time to save off whatever you want before anything gets removed.

I apologize again for these questions. I did some reading up on the iCloud. Can I just use the iCloud for the photos and or apps? According to what read docs are using the 5gb not photos. I just wondering if I could pick what I want to save?

On the iCloud account you toggle on and off the features you want to use. I recommend at minimum you use Photo Stream and Find My iPhone.

As far as Apps are concerned, there are two parts to that question.

1) The app itself.
2) The app's data.

The good news, Apps don't take up any storage on iCloud. Those are maintained in the iTunes storage space by Apple. So you can buy 50 Gigs of apps and it won't impact your 5 Gigs by even one byte. The App data can be saved by having Documents & Data set to on. The amount of storage used is up to the developer of the App. You can check how much storage is being used at any time.

Thank you so much for your help. Two more questions. Mainly I want to use the photos and put on iPad. Do I activate iCloud on both devices, or do I activate on the device that I'm transferring from?

Also my hard drive crashed on me. Everything was on old computer (got new computer)now that I transferred stuff from my iPod to new iTunes the only app that is showing up on iTunes is 1 new one that I got after new computer was set up. If I ever synced phone and iPad I would lose everything right? How do I save everything if anything would happen?

You have to activate the same iCloud account on both the iPhone and iPad to enable the Photo Stream syncing.

As for your iTunes question, I have never dealt with that situation. Hopefully someone else will pop in and answer that question.

Thank you again for your patience and help

Help............

I activated Photo Stream, read the directions "On a PC, your photos download to the Photo Stream download folder. By default, this folder is located at C:\Users\Apple\Pictures\Photo Stream\My Photo Stream. You can change this location by visiting Photo Stream Options in the iCloud Control Panel for Windows." Did a search for "iCloud, Photo Stream, My Photo Stream and came up empty.

I can't locate anything anywhere on my PC. Took a few test pictures on the iPhone but I don't see anything happening on the PC.

Apple often times confuses me. It seems here I am trying to test and use the Photo Steaming part of the iCloud and there is no hint of a Photo on the iCloud site (everything but).

Photos in general are handled/treated different than most other things.

Anyway, anybody know where the photos might be hiding?

Contacts, Calendars, Find my Phone work but no photos. The photos are in the Photo Stream Album on the iPhone. Oh yes, and I deleted a few of the test pictures from the camera and they didn't delete from the Photo Stream folder in the iPhone.

Thanks for any help.

Part 2:

Ferreted the solution. Convoluted but it worked. Had to do it in the PC Control Panel. Had to sign in and check the selections. Didn't see that coming.

Do I have to hook iPad and phone to computer to back up? I have both devices going and making sure account is same but there is no synching going on. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

Ok something strange just happened. I emailed photo from phone, opened up on iPad, saved it and it went to photo stream.i wonder why it can't happen automatically?

Something strange just happened.i emailed a photo from phone,opened up on iPad, saved it and it shows up on photo stream as well as photos. Don't know why it's not doing it automatically?