What's new

iCloud lock

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iCloud lock still seems to be causing some problems for buyers of used iPhones, so here's some advice.

If you buy a used iPhone that is iCloud locked, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE IT.

THERE IS NO WAY AROUND THIS. It is intended to make a phone useless to a thief and it works exactly as intended. You will receive no help from this forum if you come into possession of such a device, because no help is possible.

Learn the procedure for removing iCloud lock from an iPhone BEFORE you buy one used.

When you meet a vendor, make them remove the lock WHILE YOU WATCH. If they are unable or unwilling to do so, or if they claim it is not locked, make them reboot it and regain access to the home screen. If you cannot watch the phone being rebooted and made accessible, walk away.

Although iCloud lock is helping to make stolen phones useless, the onus is on buyers of used equipment to do their due diligence and ensure that they do not buy stolen goods.

If it sounds like I'm blaming the scammed victim for ending up wasting their money, then so be it. I'm not known for my political correctness, and if you bought something on the cheap, knowing or believing it to be stolen, I have no damned sympathy for you. My concern is for people who have their property stolen, not for those who enable thieves by providing a market for stolen goods.

Take heed: If it sounds too good to be true, it is!

Here's a screen grab of the email sent by Apple when iCloud Lock is disabled. Unlike stolen phones, this one is now ready to be used by a legitimate new owner.

Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 6.22.58 PM.png

So many people try to make money off of stolen phones- it's a shame. I always tell people have them meet at the carrier stores so they can verify its good to go. Or if the price is too low there is a reason.