What's new

I need your help (help a idiot please)

idontgetit

Reaction score
Ok here is my problem Got a old g3s iPhone given to me I want to just use it for like music and what not.
the guy that gave it to me said it went into recovery mode so he let I-tunes restore it so now all I get when turned on is slide bar I slide it and it wants to go through set up. Problem being I do not have Sims card so It will not finish is there any way around this? Thanks all for any help I have never messed with a iPhone so don't want to screw things up. iPhone 3GS running firmware version 5.0.1

Last edited:
Ok here is my problem Got a old g3s iPhone given to me I want to just use it for like music and what not.
the guy that gave it to me said it went into recovery mode so he let I-tunes restore it so now all I get when turned on is slide bar I slide it and it wants to go through set up. Problem being I do not have Sims card so It will not finish is there any way around this? Thanks all for any help I have never messed with a iPhone so don't want to screw things up. iPhone 3GS running firmware version 5.0.1

Just go and buy yourself a pay as you go iPhone sim card. Pop it in make your account on iTunes and bobs your uncle.

iHolophyte

Also before you go out and get a pay as you go sim try find out if its locked to any particular network and if it is then go out and get that sim, you can get pretty much get them free now from most if not all carriers.

Also before you go out and get a pay as you go sim try find out if its locked to any particular network and if it is then go out and get that sim, you can get pretty much get them free now from most if not all carriers.

Good point. Forgot about the network.

iHolophyte

well I really have no need for another phone I have three cells now under contract so cannot drop them for 9 more months. just thought it would could be used as ipod touch. and use the camera and such.

well I really have no need for another phone I have three cells now under contract so cannot drop them for 9 more months. just thought it would could be used as ipod touch. and use the camera and such.

pay as you go.. = no contract ?

you would just use it to activate the phone, you would not use it as a phone if you dont want to. just for the sake of it registering/activating the device

sorry for the trouble I guess when I can i will have to buy a sim or maybe just toss it in trash. Not like I need it it was just something to play with. thanks for the help.

sorry for the trouble I guess when I can i will have to buy a sim or maybe just toss it in trash. Not like I need it it was just something to play with. thanks for the help.

I dont know where you are from but most carriers give out pay as you go sims for free so you can just quickly insert the sim and activate the device.. that does not mean you need to drop your other contracts or pay anything to use a new sim, go to their home page and order one..

might be a lot of hassle though and trying to find out if its locked to a carrier.. might be better just throwing it away..

OR you can jailbreak it and use it as a ipod touch depending on what firmware its on

i would say it is locked to at&t i will see if i can get a sim from them. how do i find out for sure?

Ask the person who gave it to you.. I think in the states you call them pre paid, I dont know if it works the same as it does here but you dont enter a contract and when itunes checks it will see you have an iphone and activate for you with out paying..

Just dont tell att its for the iphone if they ask, say its for like a 10 year old nokia or something

i would say it is locked to at&t i will see if i can get a sim from them. how do i find out for sure?
If you're in the United States... then chances are it's an At&t iPhone. Just hit up an At&t store... or even Wal-mart for that matter... and you'll have no issues getting a Pay as you Go Sim.

We if I ever have a need for a pay as you go phone I will do that but I just wanted it as a ipod touch just playing around so I run redsnow and and that did the trick for now. Is what i read true that using iphone on pay as you go sim they detect it and shut it down or is that bull crap. If it works I might just drop my crappy Verizon phone when contract is up.

You don't have to activate the AT&T sim. Just go on eBay and buy a used AT&T sim for $3. Pop it in and your good to go.

Also, once the iPhone is activated you can remove the sim.

Please, I need help too. I´m brazilian and I bought a iphone 4 in Boston last year (november), but now it´s broken. How can I look for help in USA? I ´ve tried but I can´t call to the store in Boston. Someone help me???