What's new

I just don't understand iCloud.

Hi iMarilina
Firstly thank you for jumping on board with this.
I can now access Icloud from my laptop, but I have no idea how to save documents there. I can see an Apple Iwork button which then takes me to a page advertising an app for which I have to pay but is there a way of storing documents there for free ?
If there is how do you store them and how do you subsequently view them ?
many thanks in advance for any help you are able to give and thank you for your time.

Hi iMarilina
Firstly thank you for jumping on board with this.
I can now access Icloud from my laptop, but I have no idea how to save documents there. I can see an Apple Iwork button which then takes me to a page advertising an app for which I have to pay but is there a way of storing documents there for free ?
If there is how do you store them and how do you subsequently view them ?
many thanks in advance for any help you are able to give and thank you for your time.

Hi there again!

App aside, you can store whatever you wish in icloud, but you can't have visible access to stuff.

If you go to your phone to Settings - Icloud, you can see what exactly you can turn ON (which means what will be stored into icloud for a future RESTORE BACKUP FROM ICLOUD).

If you see the Documents and Data and go to it, you can see all the applications on your phone, and choose which to turn on or off in order to save those apps' data into icloud.

I checked mine out and when I did a restore from icloud, everything was in place (including documents, game scores and so on).

Hi there again!

App aside, you can store whatever you wish in icloud, but you can't have visible access to stuff.

If you go to your phone to Settings - Icloud, you can see what exactly you can turn ON (which means what will be stored into icloud for a future RESTORE BACKUP FROM ICLOUD).

If you see the Documents and Data and go to it, you can see all the applications on your phone, and choose which to turn on or off in order to save those apps' data into icloud.

I checked mine out and when I did a restore from icloud, everything was in place (including documents, game scores and so on).
this was already explained by several helpful folks earlier. are we going in circles? :->

Hi iMarlina
Thanks for that much appreciated
I don't think that for me it's going to be of any use.
I run my own business and was thinking of backing up invoices in I cloud. but I would need to see them.
Can you back up docs that are produced on a windows pc in excel or word ?
Thanks again for your time

Jonregester said:
Hi iMarlina
Thanks for that much appreciated
I don't think that for me it's going to be of any use.
I run my own business and was thinking of backing up invoices in I cloud. but I would need to see them.
Can you back up docs that are produced on a windows pc in excel or word ?
Thanks again for your time

I would suggest DROPBOX, or box.net then. Both are c
Oud services, that have apps in AppStore, and you can swap files from your pc and see them fine in both apps. (dropbox is on the computer as a folder, and box.net you just access through browser).

I would suggest dropbox because you just drag and drop stuff from your pc to the dropbox folder that the app installs on there and you just access it from the dropbox app on your iphone, which has an integrated viewer or lets tou choose which app you want to view it in.

Sorry for the lateness of this
been job hunting ( Saab Automobile went belly up )
When I log into icloud from my desktop ( Just a point there is nothing that I find on the PC that shows anything about icloud, I go in through the net ) There are 5 icons. Mail,contacts ( They transferred OK ) Calender,Find my iPhone and iWork and nothing else.
I get no help from help as it doesnt load and I wish I had not bothered.

Sorry for the lateness of this
been job hunting ( Saab Automobile went belly up )
When I log into icloud from my desktop ( Just a point there is nothing that I find on the PC that shows anything about icloud, I go in through the net ) There are 5 icons. Mail,contacts ( They transferred OK ) Calender,Find my iPhone and iWork and nothing else.
I get no help from help as it doesnt load and I wish I had not bothered.

It looks like iCloud automatically backs up your d/l's from iTunes / items on your iPhone. But as for adding info you can access, ie for iWorks , looks like you have to be using the Apple versions for Word Processing/Spreadsheets for iWorks to be of any use.

You can use iBooks if you are just storing *.PDF files, but if you want to store Windows based docs, like Word/Excel/PP, then I bet Dropbox would be a better program.