What's new

I have lost my iTunes backup password. I'm willing to be the object of scorn and derision.

superfish

Reaction score
I've searched and read the relevant threads here and talked to Apple tech support. I'm willing to do the work to reset my phone to "new" and start over. If I do that will I be able to use my current Apple ID and not lose my apps? And, will that really reset the password?

Also: I can't use one of the password crackers because I deleted all of my backups.
Dose anyone know where the password is actually kept, with the Apple ID, in some iTunes file.

I appreciate any thoughts you may have. I'm embarrassed, I don't ever lose a password -- at least til now.

bob

I can't tell you where the password for your backups to iTunes is kept. I have another option for you, though:
Backup your iPhone to iCloud before erasing it.

Of course you can use your Apple ID again after erasing your device.

To test whether or not the password has been removed, connect your iPhone to iTunes after erasing it.

You can use the backup to iCloud afterwards, to set it up again, so you won't lose most of your settings, and, depending on your backup, data as well.

Αny chance you may have saved it to Keychain?

No Keychain. I don't have a MAC.
J. A. -- I'll probably try what you suggest. However, I think the password is keyed to (as in saved to) the Apple ID. I am also going to try with my iPhone 4s.

bp