What's new

I downloaded the signed 8.1 ios how long is it good for

mach1man

Reaction score
Ok so when I was going to get my iPhone 6 there was a chance it would be shipped with 8.1.1 so I downloaded the signed 8.1 ios so I could downgrade and jailbreak.. well my iphone actually came with 8.1 so I didnt need to use the download... But my question is since I have it, how long is it good for??

Ok so when I was going to get my iPhone 6 there was a chance it would be shipped with 8.1.1 so I downloaded the signed 8.1 ios so I could downgrade and jailbreak.. well my iphone actually came with 8.1 so I didnt need to use the download... But my question is since I have it, how long is it good for??
Only until Apple stops signing iOS 8.1. The last part of the iOS upgrade process is an online verification with the Apple servers. It doesn't matter if you downloaded the IPSW file when Apple was still signing iOS 8.1, if you try to use it after Apple has stopped signing it, it will no longer work.

well that's a bummer. What happens if I have an issue with a tweak or re-spring where it boot loops and I have to restore..

well that's a bummer. What happens if I have an issue with a tweak or re-spring where it boot loops and I have to restore..
Unfortunately, with the current iOS version being unjailbreakable, if you have to do a restore you'll lose your jailbreak until a jailbreak for iOS 8.1.1 or later is developed.

Install OpenSSH at the very minimum to help avoid having to restore. Worse comes to worse, you can boot into safe mode to remove it or run SemiRestore in Safe Mode.

Ok I'll do that. Do you have a how to use page on OpenSSH

Like a tutorial on how to use OpenSSH

Pretty much any resource that explains how Linux/Ubuntu commands work. Overall, all you need to do is install OpenSSH, and change the SSH password and mobile passwords to deter others from SSHing to your device. You can change the password following this by Saurik.

All you really need is to have it with a changed password is all. Most users never use commands outside of literally a handful. It's there as a safety net since ILEX RAT and SemiRestore both require OpenSSH to wipe/revert your device.