What's new

How to update 3GS without correct sim?

Cossierolle

Reaction score
Hi. Im new to this forum and i need help with one thing.
I have a at&t locked 3gs bought off ebay a couple of years ago, its currently running ios 4.1.
Now i want to update it to 5.11.
Since i live in Finland i cant get hold of a at&t sim card, so how can i activate it then? Im scared of getting stuck on the activation screen after updating.
So can someone please give me a step by step guide how to this.

Best regards, Roland.

Download the lastest version of sn0wbreeze here... iH8sn0w.com. Run it using the "Hactivate" option selected. It'll allow you to bypass the Activation screen.

Thank you! Is there a guide on how to jailbreak and unlock stepbystep with sn0wbreeze?

I'm not certain we have a guide using sn0wbreeze.... I think our guides are based around using redsn0w. As far as unlocking goes... before you do anything (like updating via iTunes)... we need to determine what Baseband (Modem Firmware) your 3GS is on. Go into Settings>General>About... and your Baseband will be next to "Modem Firmware." That'll tell us the method you need to use for Unlocking.

05.13.04 is the modem firmware.
Ok that's good then!! :) One thing you always want to avoid when Unlocking an iPhone... is restoring via iTunes. This is the 5.1.1 IPSW file you'll need to download.. http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5.1.1/041-4347.20120427.o2yov/iPhone2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw. Save it to your desktop somewhere. Then, use sn0wbreeze to create a "Custom IPSW" w/ the Baseband preservation option selected. This will created a custom Firmware file for you to restore to, but it will keep the 5.13.04 Baseband.

Ok, thx! I will try it when i get back from work.
Shall i just jailbreak with hacktivate checked then? And after use ultrasn0w from cydia?
Why Shall i use sn0wbreeze instead of redsn0w?
And btw, thanks for helping out a n00b. :)

No worries... we were all N00bs and one point. Honestly, redsn0w and sn0wbreeze are going to do the same thing for you. Both can Hactivate and both can create the custom IPSW you need w/ Baseband preservation. But yes, either one, you'll run the Jailbreak w/ Hactivate checked.

And when its finished updating snd jailbreaking i just use ultrasn0w from cydia? Or can snowbreeze unlock it directly?

Sn0wbreeze and redsn0w are only Jailbreaking tools. For your application and Baseband yes, you'll need to use ultrasn0w from Cydia for Unlocking purposes.