What's new

How to sync your phone contacts with FB?

Gentei

Reaction score
Hey guys
I haven't found this yet, but i'd like to sync my contacts with FB.
Reason is just to have their pics next their contacts.
I know Android did this by default but haven't found this yet on iOS...?
Anyone a idea?

In Settings - Facebook, enable Contacts. That done, select "Update All Contacts" below:
image.png

In the Contacts app, tap "Groups" at the top left. Make sure Facebook is enabled. If it is, drag downwards the list of accounts to force them to sync to your iPhone. A spinning wheel will appear at the top.
Select "Done" afterwards, and look at your contacts now. Usually they should show the FB images then.

Hope that helps.

In Settings - Facebook, enable Contacts. That done, select "Update All Contacts" below:
View attachment 21243
In the Contacts app, tap "Groups" at the top left. Make sure Facebook is enabled. If it is, drag downwards the list of accounts to force them to sync to your iPhone. A spinning wheel will appear at the top.
Select "Done" afterwards, and look at your contacts now. Usually they should show the FB images then.

Hope that helps.
Allright done everything but nothing changed there are still ppl who are all with no pic?

Last edited:
Do you have duplicate entries in your Contacts list? If so, open one of them, select "Edit" at the top right, scroll to the bottom, and select "link contacts". Then select the contacts that belongs to the one you're editing, tap "Done" to save this.

Do you have duplicate entries in your Contacts list? If so, open one of them, select "Edit" at the top right, scroll to the bottom, and select "link contacts". Then select the contacts that belongs to the one you're editing, tap "Done" to save this.
There was only one person double, and it's been linked but all the rest are....still the same.

Last edited:
If the FB friend has no email in their "about me" on Facebook, then their info may not show. Just go to their Facebook timeline and save their profile photo to your phone, then to their contact card.

If the FB friend has no email in their "about me" on Facebook, then their info may not show. Just go to their Facebook timeline and save their profile photo to your phone, then to their contact card.

I don't think that's the case.
But anyway i give up, some contacts are synced while others aren't.
Pretty weird.
The idea of going to everyone's FB and getting their pics might be a good one if you have a limited contact group....
I have a shitload of contacts, getting their profile pics is waaaay too much work, and frankly not the reason Why i should, a iPhone is normally a smartphone....

Pretty weird...
That's how it works. See Apple's support site:
Update contacts
You can update your contacts with Facebook, Twitter, and Sina Weibo information and photos by selecting the account in Settings and tapping Update All Contacts. iOS matches contacts using email addresses, and updates contact cards with user names and photos.

Pretty weird.
The idea of going to everyone's FB and getting their pics might be a good one if you have a limited contact group....
I have a shitload of contacts, getting their profile pics is waaaay too much work, and frankly not the reason Why i should, a iPhone is normally a smartphone....
It may not be. But it was the case with me. I had enabled FB contacts sync by mistake. I wasn't sure what had happened at first and while checking it, I noticed some FB friends were not there. I figured there must be a reason and looked at their "about me". All of those clearly had removed or not added their email addresses, including the one Facebook gives you, and their phone number. There was no contact info at all. Look at it this way. How many Gmail contacts would sync to your contacts if they had no email address?

It may not be. But it was the case with me. I had enabled FB contacts sync by mistake. I wasn't sure what had happened at first and while checking it, I noticed some FB friends were not there. I figured there must be a reason and looked at their "about me". All of those clearly had removed or not added their email addresses, including the one Facebook gives you, and their phone number. There was no contact info at all. Look at it this way. How many Gmail contacts would sync to your contacts if they had no email address?

On my android phones, all contacts were linked to FB, including those who didn't have E-mails on FB.
FB and contacts links via names not E-mail.

On my android phones, all contacts were linked to FB, including those who didn't have E-mails on FB.
FB and contacts links via names not E-mail.
Is there anything those that don't sync have in common? I may have been thinking of how when I tap on the FB entry on a contact, it doesn't take you to their FB timeline if there's no email. If they have no email in "about me", it takes you to your newsfeed. In your situation, they must have something in common. IDK! Then there's this thread.
How Do You Sync Facebook Friends Contacts - iPhone iPad iPod Forums at iMore.com

And this from an Apple Discussion thread. ( 2 years old)
How do I sync facebook friends to my contacts u... Apple Support Communities