What's new

How to root Iphone 4

Kaylajo14

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm very new to the iPhone I've had it for 2 months now and am interested in seeing what else I can do with it. I used to have an android phone and it was extremely easy to root it. I'm having trouble figuring the iPhone out. I am running iOS 4.2.8 and it's through Verizon. They won't allow the new update, thus why I don't have it. Please help me out!! Also I want to make sure the rooting will be reversible. Just in case something happens to it.
Thanks
Kayla!

Kaylajo14 said:
Hi there. I'm very new to the iPhone I've had it for 2 months now and am interested in seeing what else I can do with it. I used to have an android phone and it was extremely easy to root it. I'm having trouble figuring the iPhone out. I am running iOS 4.2.8 and it's through Verizon. They won't allow the new update, thus why I don't have it. Please help me out!! Also I want to make sure the rooting will be reversible. Just in case something happens to it.
Thanks
Kayla!

You mean jailbreak. You can do this by downloading the latest version of Snowbreeze and the 4.2.8 ispw file. Do not upgrade to 4.2.9 or 4.2.10 you won't be able to do a untethered jailbreak. Tethered sucks bc you're going to have to plug your phone into your computer everyone you reboot

You also just go to jailbreakme.com using your iPhone's safari and jailbreak it from there. It's easy.

bab2010 said:
You also just go to jailbreakme.com using your iPhone's safari and jailbreak it from there. It's easy.

+1 I'm on 4.2.8 and jailbreakme works great.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Last edited:
Are there any special features going to be available after I jailbreak and is it going to be reversible? Thanks for your help btw. =)

Kaylajo14 said:
Are there any special features going to be available after I jailbreak and is it going to be reversible? Thanks for your help btw. =)

You'll have a new app store on your phone called cydia. There's a lot of neat things you can download from there. Themes, tweaks, apps. It pretty much unleashes the full potential of your phone. Yes the process can be reversed by doing a factory restore. Before you jailbreak, it'd be wise to do a backup of your data through iTunes.

Kaylajo14 said:

You'll have a new app store on your phone called cydia. There's a lot of neat things you can download from there. Themes, tweaks, apps. It pretty much unleashes the full potential of your phone. Yes the process can be reversed by doing a factory restore. Before you jailbreak, it'd be wise to do a backup of your data through iTunes.

+1...don't do as i do and don't backup

iCrank said:
actually I don't know how hard it is bc It seems easy to me. lol.

I meant I didn't backup my iPhone before a jailbreak and the jailbreak didn't work. So I had to do a factory restore and I lost a few dozen paid apps. I had to contact apple customer service and email them my iTunes receipts (which I'm sure they could look it up on their end idk why they made me do that). Not to mention photos and contacts. So now I backup my phone every night lmao.

iCrank said:
actually I don't know how hard it is bc It seems easy to me. lol.

I meant I didn't backup my iPhone before a jailbreak and the jailbreak didn't work. So I had to do a factory restore and I lost a few dozen paid apps. I had to contact apple customer service and email them my iTunes receipts (which I'm sure they could look it up on their end idk why they made me do that). Not to mention photos and contacts. So now I backup my phone every night lmao.

i understood what you were saying. I have never backed my phone up...since I can't really on my computers. I gave my sister my netbook which was synced to my phone, then I have this dell laptop that sucks and finally my macbook that my wife busted by sitting on it and cracking the screen. Just haven't had the time to replace it. so yeah manually adding everything is easy for me

iCrank said:
i understood what you were saying. I have never backed my phone up...since I can't really on my computers. I gave my sister my netbook which was synced to my phone, then I have this dell laptop that sucks and finally my macbook that my wife busted by sitting on it and cracking the screen. Just haven't had the time to replace it. so yeah manually adding everything is easy for me

Oh ok I got ya.

yeah the only bad thing is you cant use the jailbreakme right now do to the dev teaming working on a jailbreak for the ios 5 so jailbreakme wont work on 4.2.9

yeah the only bad thing is you cant use the jailbreakme right now do to the dev teaming working on a jailbreak for the ios 5 so jailbreakme wont work on 4.2.9

The original poster is running 4.2.8 and jailbreakme.com would work on 4.2.8