What's new

How to make Push work with iOS5? Emails not appearing in lockscreen

RyanLee said:
Hi there, I am also having problems. I've added 3 accounts. I get push notifications from ICloud and Hotmail, but not from Gmail.
I looked in Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calendars/Fetch New Data/Advanced. ICloud allows push and so does Hotmail. But, Gmail only has the option for Fetch or Manual. Can anyone else confirm this?

Gmail can push if you setup your account as a Microsoft Exchange account and not as a Gmail account for the server line enter m.google.com.

Last edited:
Gmail can push if you setup your account as a Microsoft Exchange account and not as a Gmail account for the server line enter m.google.com. Also the username should be entered without the @gmail.com.

Not to argue what works for you Blurayfan, but thought I'd also add this...
I followed the directions here and got it to work:

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help

It says to use the full email address as the Username. So if it doesn't work Blurayfan's way, try the full address.

Just as a side note (weird)...When I got the Gmail configured with the exchange account I sent two test mails, one to Gmail and the other to my .me iCloud account. The Gmail pushed in about 12 seconds. Then about a minute or two later the .me came in. Wow! They're both working! 10 minutes later I tried it again. This time the Gmail came right in at 12 seconds. The .me never did arrive. Tried it again about 15 minutes later and the exact same thing happened. So I'm right back to trying to figure out why the .me account doesn't work. :(

DaveM said:
Just as a side note (weird)...When I got the Gmail configured with the exchange account I sent two test mails, one to Gmail and the other to my .me iCloud account. The Gmail pushed in about 12 seconds. Then about a minute or two later the .me came in. Wow! They're both working! 10 minutes later I tried it again. This time the Gmail came right in at 12 seconds. The .me never did arrive. Tried it again about 15 minutes later and the exact same thing happened. So I'm right back to trying to figure out why the .me account doesn't work. :(

The iOS software is to blame. I'm running the Beta 2 of iOS 5.0.1 and the me account comes in immediately.

DaveM said:
Not to argue what works for you Blurayfan, but thought I'd also add this...
I followed the directions here and got it to work:

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help

It says to use the full email address as the Username. So if it doesn't work Blurayfan's way, try the full address.

Interesting, those instructions are different than the saved copy I got when I signed up for Gmail while it was in Beta. I just tried it both ways and you're correct the full address works while the other way does not.

OK, so I had an iPod touch 3, and there were TWO push button notifications I got:
1) Facebook
2) ThePensblog

So anytime I got a message from somebody on facebook or the pensblog had a new posting, I got a badge and a banner on my home or lock screen.

Then, I got and upgraded to the iOS5 and iPhone 4S. So I have an iPhone 4s and iPod touch 3. Here is the problem, my push buttons work "sporodically".
Some days I might get alerts, some days I just get badges.
I want it like it was before, where everytime thePensblog updates, I get a banner on screen, and it stays until I unlock or scroll past it, and I get this updates "stacked" (that is, if it updates twice I keep both updates on my screen until I unlock and move past).

I had this before, how come I don't now? Any solutions?

And yes, I am connected to wifi, yes I did go to the notication center, where for both apps it says I have banners and badges.

So I am confused on why this is a problem! Anybody else have this?