What's new

How to make Push work with iOS5? Emails not appearing in lockscreen

No one is doubting that it works for you. But there is a fair number of us who have been posting lately with push problems that can't be explained by the simple answer of having push turned on, or any other settings. To just say that push will work if push is on doesn't solve the issue.

Alright lets level the playing field. Do a forced iPhone backup. Do a factory reset. Activate the phone. DO NOT RESTORE. Create one exchange email account with push notifications. Without going into the mail app, send an email to the phone. If it works, you know it is your data. Restore that data, destroy that email account and reenter it again. If that doesn't fix it then the issue is in the general settings. It is called shotgun troubleshooting, but I can guarantee after you have done all this you will know where the problem lies.

Alright lets level the playing field. Do a forced iPhone backup. Do a factory reset. Activate the phone. DO NOT RESTORE. Create one exchange email account with push notifications. Without going into the mail app, send an email to the phone. If it works, you know it is your data. Restore that data, destroy that email account and reenter it again. If that doesn't fix it then the issue is in the general settings. It is called shotgun troubleshooting, but I can guarantee after you have done all this you will know where the problem lies.

I just may do that, but if I do I'll need some help setting up the exchange account. Never had one before. It's not something that I'm going to start tonight for sure. I'd like to think that it ought to have a simpler solution. I do appreciate the suggestion Skull. Really do.

No one is doubting that it works for you. But there is a fair number of us who have been posting lately with push problems that can't be explained by the simple answer of having push turned on, or any other settings. To just say that push will work if push is on doesn't solve the issue.

I'm sure it's just ios and the iCloud network right now. Sometimes I can send an iMessage, sometimes I can't (more cant than can right now).

4 million iPhone 4S were sold in 4 days, and I'm sure most of those people are trying to connect with iCloud and other services but each of us are having difficulties of their own, and it's only normal. Problem reports are sent automatically, I'm sure the apple team is trying to press every bug out as we speak. No OS is perfect and fully functional completely the first few days, let alone weeks its been launched.

Everyone's new OS experiance can vary. I'd do what Skull is suggesting, it seems the only thing left to do. What could it hurt?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.462282,-111.990683
Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Skull One said:
I am using Exchange for my Hotmail and GMail accounts under iOS 5. I am doing the following steps and typing them up:

Powering off.

Created an email in Hotmail that is going to my Hotmail, Gmail and Mobile Me accounts.

Powering on the iPhone.

As soon as the lock screen goes active I will hit send.

Sent.

Time from sent to all three hitting the phone, about 12 seconds.

If you are having an issue with push mail, then there is a setup issue with the account or in the general settings.

In this scenario push does work. The problem comes in when a iPhone is already powered on but in stand by. Any email sent will not be received unless the user opens the email app or reboots the phone.

In about an hour I will test that new condition. But first I need a break.

I have a 3 accounts of emails set up push Microsoft Exchange and i have no problem and i never had a problem even when i was on ios4 beta ios5 or GM everything was working fine with push email

In this scenario push does work. The problem comes in when a iPhone is already powered on but in stand by. Any email sent will not be received unless the user opens the email app or reboots the phone.

Ok, here is the exact steps I took:

Power off.
Power on.
Wait for 10 minutes.
No activity on the phone for these 10 minutes.
Send email to my gmail account only using hotmail.
Time to arrival was 11 seconds.

The notification process, called notifyd if you wish to look at your running process list, is spawned on boot. I can find no way to kill this app because it is protected as a "root user processes".

And for grins and giggles, I just ran thru every single game I own as fast as possible to try and flush out memory. Soon as I looked at the process list there was notifyd. Still under root. Still protected.

It is a settings issue.

Skull One said:
Ok, here is the exact steps I took:

Power off.
Power on.
Wait for 10 minutes.
No activity on the phone for these 10 minutes.
Send email to my gmail account only using hotmail.
Time to arrival was 11 seconds.

The notification process, called notifyd if you wish to look at your running process list, is spawned on boot. I can find no way to kill this app because it is protected as a "root user processes".

And for grins and giggles, I just ran thru every single game I own as fast as possible to try and flush out memory. Soon as I looked at the process list there was notifyd. Still under root. Still protected.

It is a settings issue.

Skull One is your system Jailbroken. Because I know of no way to track running services on my iPhone 4 that's running an untouched iOS 5.

Skull One is your system Jailbroken. Because I know of no way to track running services on my iPhone 4 that's running an untouched iOS 5.

I am not jailbroken. Please download "System Status" by Jiri Techet. But I would recommend waiting at present. The developer likes to play this game where he changes the price every day to cause it to show up in AppBzr and AppShopper as a "reduced price". It is currently $2.99 but it should fall to $0.99 in the next 2 to 4 days.

The first thing I learned to do under iOS after spending 13 months on Android as a custom ROM consultant and developer was to figure out how to tell what was going in iOS. This is the main tool I use to show me the memory, applications and processes that are running.

Skull One said:
I am not jailbroken. Please download "System Status" by Jiri Techet. But I would recommend waiting at present. The developer likes to play this game where he changes the price every day to cause it to show up in AppBzr and AppShopper as a "reduced price". It is currently $2.99 but it should fall to $0.99 in the next 2 to 4 days.

The first thing I learned to do under iOS after spending 13 months on Android as a custom ROM consultant and developer was to figure out how to tell what was going in iOS. This is the main tool I use to show me the memory, applications and processes that are running.

Thanks, I will check that out. I want to troubleshoot this and maybe even resolve it before apple releases an update.

That is very incorrect. The push listening app is run at the OS level, not a the user level and hence doesn't require ANY app to be open for a notification to be shown or responded to. If you wish to confirm this for yourself, reboot the phone and then send it an email for any address that is setup for push notification.

BTW, I did this exact test to make sure I would never miss a server alert from work.

Skull One, I do appreciate the input, but can you please read my comment, I just stated that this has worked for me, i did not say anything about this being a solution, as push "should"work with the mail app open or closed.

There seems to be an issue with the iCloud service that affect push, and until Apple sort this out, I don't think there is anything we can do about it.

Cheers
Wilko

I too am having the same problem. Push worked great before ios5.

I too am having the same problem. Push worked great before ios5.

Like Wilko, and i said, its the iCloud server. 4 million people have an iPhone 4S in the past 4 days, and I bet 90% of them are setting up their mail. iCloud im sure is smashed! But apple will clean it up soon, I'm sure. 👍

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.462233,-111.990708