What's new

How to make Push work with iOS5? Emails not appearing in lockscreen

egrolman

Reaction score
Hello,
I had no problems with Push in earlier OSs, but now, although Push is turned on, new email notifications don't appear in the lockscreen on my iPhone 4. All notification/lockscreen settings are correctly turned on. I've rebooted, turned settings off then on again. I can hear the email [Exchange account] arrive on my laptop; nothing pops up on the lockscreen of phone to indicate I've received anything. Appreciate any help.

I am having the same issue with iCloud, push is not working on my iPhone 4 or my iPad.

I am having the same issue with iCloud, push is not working on my iPhone 4 or my iPad.

The only way push will work on my iPhone 4 is to leave the mail app open in the multitask bar, if mail is closed completely, push will not work. The iPad works with mail app turned on or off.

The only way push will work on my iPhone 4 is to leave the mail app open in the multitask bar, if mail is closed completely, push will not work. The iPad works with mail app turned on or off.

That is very incorrect. The push listening app is run at the OS level, not a the user level and hence doesn't require ANY app to be open for a notification to be shown or responded to. If you wish to confirm this for yourself, reboot the phone and then send it an email for any address that is setup for push notification.

BTW, I did this exact test to make sure I would never miss a server alert from work.

That is very incorrect. The push listening app is run at the OS level, not a the user level and hence doesn't require ANY app to be open for a notification to be shown or responded to. If you wish to confirm this for yourself, reboot the phone and then send it an email for any address that is setup for push notification.

BTW, I did this exact test to make sure I would never miss a server alert from work.

He's right Skull. I would agree that it's not supposed to be that way, but my own experience plus that of many others who have been posting here lately indicates that it's either a bug, or there's something else affecting it - maybe another installed app that uses push? Maybe a setting? I've fought this since iOS 5 came out and have not been able to get it working either. Keeping the mail app open is a workaround, not a fix. Maybe you can help figure out why this is happening to some of us.

Skull One said:

I just tested this with my iPhone 4 that won't receive Push emails. Leaving the email App running in the background does allow me to receive the pushed mail tested this by sending three emails two minutes apart from each other and they were received within seconds. Then sent four more after closing the App and those were not received until I opened the app again.

Very interesting to say the least. I have never seen this issue under iOS 4, 5 beta or 5 GM. And I no theories at present to explain why a difference could exist. But I am dwelling on it.

Hello,
I had no problems with Push in earlier OSs, but now, although Push is turned on, new email notifications don't appear in the lockscreen on my iPhone 4. All notification/lockscreen settings are correctly turned on. I've rebooted, turned settings off then on again. I can hear the email [Exchange account] arrive on my laptop; nothing pops up on the lockscreen of phone to indicate I've received anything. Appreciate any help.

i hope you got it all sorted out by now, but if not.

try Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > Fetch New Data (make sure push is turned ON - and set a time limit for when you want the emails retrieved), and that should work. my emails show on my lock screen all the time, with the same settings enabled.

also, try Settings > Notifications > (scroll to Mail) Mail > (make sure notifications Center is ON, then make sure View In Lock Screen is ON

hope this helped!

Last edited:
i hope you got it all sorted out by now, but if not.

try Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > Fetch New Data (make sure push is turned ON - and set a time limit for when you want the emails retrieved), and that should work. my emails show on my lock screen all the time, with the same settings enabled.

also, try Settings > Notifications > (scroll to Mail) Mail > (make sure notifications Center is ON, then make sure View In Lock Screen is ON

hope this helped!

Sure that will work, but it's not Push. That's automatically fetching at a given time interval. As the instructions say, "The schedule below is used when push is off or for applications which do not support push...."

I have no issues with receiving push. So I would have to go with skull one on this one.

Sure that will work, but it's not Push. That's automatically fetching at a given time interval. As the instructions say, "The schedule below is used when push is off or for applications which do not support push...."

If push is on, your push will work. Everyone knows what push is. And there is fetch. The fetch system uses those times everyone selects to pull data every 15, 30, hour, or manual intervals when push isn't available, i.e an app that doesnt support Push data. But depending on the email client you have, determines if there is push or not.

I have no problem what so ever getting my emails pushed to my iPhone 4 the second I someone sends me data, be it on my old yahoo or gmail, or even my new ICloud. Maybe exchange is different now in iOS 5. Only time will give us more answers.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.454144,-111.986228
Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

I am using Exchange for my Hotmail and GMail accounts under iOS 5. I am doing the following steps and typing them up:

Powering off.

Created an email in Hotmail that is going to my Hotmail, Gmail and Mobile Me accounts.

Powering on the iPhone.

As soon as the lock screen goes active I will hit send.

Sent.

Time from sent to all three hitting the phone, about 12 seconds.

If you are having an issue with push mail, then there is a setup issue with the account or in the general settings.

I am using Exchange for my Hotmail and GMail accounts under iOS 5. I am doing the following steps and typing them up:

Powering off.

Created an email in Hotmail that is going to my Hotmail, Gmail and Mobile Me accounts.

Powering on the iPhone.

As soon as the lock screen goes active I will hit send.

Sent.

Time from sent to all three hitting the phone, about 12 seconds.

If you are having an issue with push mail, then there is a setup issue with the account or in the general settings.

I get my mail instantaneously. I agree its definitely a setup issue. :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.464011,-111.990911
Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

If push is on, your push will work. Everyone knows what push is. And there is fetch. The fetch system uses those times everyone selects to pull data every 15, 30, hour, or manual intervals when push isn't available, i.e an app that doesnt support Push data. But depending on the email client you have, determines if there is push or not.

I have no problem what so ever getting my emails pushed to my iPhone 4 the second I someone sends me data, be it on my old yahoo or gmail, or even my new ICloud. Maybe exchange is different now in iOS 5. Only time will give us more answers.

No one is doubting that it works for you. But there is a fair number of us who have been posting lately with push problems that can't be explained by the simple answer of having push turned on, or any other settings. To just say that push will work if push is on doesn't solve the issue.

Very possible Skull, but so far I haven't found it, and I assure you I've really been over them. As a matter of fact, as mentioned in another topic, I actually got push to work once, but never after that. There were no changes made before or after that one time that it worked. It just worked, then it didn't. :(