What's new

How to make custom ringtones for your iPhone

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Darkstar2007
This guide is intended to help users make custom ringtones for their iPhone.

1. Start iTunes and find the DRM-free song you want to convert to a ringtone. Right-click on it and select the Get Info option.
2. On the Options tab locate the Start Time and End Time options. This is where you want to specify the portion of the song you wanted converted into a ringtone. Check both of the boxes, and make sure your ringtone is under 30-seconds. Press OK when finished.
3. Right-click on the song you just modified, and choose the "Convert to AAC" option. If you don't see this in the context menu navigate to "Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing", and make sure the AAC Encoder is selected in the Import Using menu.
4. Once the song has finished being converted to the new format it will appear in your music list, and the "Time" should reflect the correct duration of the ringtone (which should be less than 30-seconds). Now navigate to your iTunes music folder to find the converted song.
5. Make sure you're able to see the files extension (.M4A). If you don't see the extension go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View (Organize -> Folder and Search Options on Vista), and uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types box. Then click OK.
6. Right click the file (with the .M4A extension) and click Show in Explorer. Once you've done that right click the file and rename it from .M4A to .M4R which will make iTunes recognize it as a ringtone. Make sure there are no symbols (underscores, hyphens, etc...) in the file name.
7. Double click the file name and it should leave that folder and show up in iTunes (should start playing as well, if you have iTunes set as default player). iTunes will place the ringtone in the respective section in your library.
8. Sync your iPhone with iTunes and your newly created ringtone should get transferred over. If it doesn't be sure to check the Ringtones tab in the iPhone configuration section of iTunes to verify that it is setup to sync your ringtones. The iTunes method may be too difficult, or aggravating for some users, so a ringtone maker app might be the best course for some.
9. Enjoy your custom ringtones!!!

i Used tht procedure bt my file is nt changing to m4r .....

I found the above "modified" steps above to work the best.

Angry said:
i Used tht procedure bt my file is nt changing to m4r .....

If your Jailbroken, just drag the file to the raw file system change to .m4r there.

How do I find the newly created ringtones on my phone? When I try, I just see the stock tones that came with the phone.

If it's not under the first page that shows up, check the Classics portion on the bottom of each list of tones. It'll expand to a new menu

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Used this guide today, works perfectly too 👍 & I am so happy to be able to do this on my 4S. Just wondering is there a different format for tones as well (like m4r for ringtones, is there m4t for tones?) thanks again boys 😎👍

Sent via TapaTalk from the iPhone 4S 😎