What's new

How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Using Absinthe 2.0.4 (Windows) [5.1.1]

Well...I highly highly doubt he "bricked" his phone.

Most people don't even know that that means the device "can never be used unless its physically rebuilt".lol

That was the same with people over at the android forum, everyone always thought there ish was bricked even though it was almost impossible to do

Tapatalk'd from my iPhone 4s

Quick question, since I'm jailbroken if I continue to back up to iCloud will it overwrite my backup from pre jailbreak or is this safe to do?

MwSlim said:
Quick question, since I'm jailbroken if I continue to back up to iCloud will it overwrite my backup from pre jailbreak or is this safe to do?

No. It will create a new backup.

Yes...it's safe to do...provided you don't have any problems...and iCloud backup your device whole it's having a particular problem.

That is why I don't use backups. If I never jailbroke, then I would use iCloud backups...but I do jailbreak...and I tinker around way too much to use backups.

I backup settings, Cydia tweaks, and apps manually myself....instead of using iCloud or iTunes...that I way I know *exactly* what is being backed up and restored.

But in all general speaking....yes...iCloud backups are totally safe while jailbroken, and you can "Reset All Settings" and restore from an iCloud backup if you wish to do so.

Yes...it's safe to do...provided you don't have any problems...and iCloud backup your device whole it's having a particular problem.

That is why I don't use backups. If I never jailbroke, then I would use iCloud backups...but I do jailbreak...and I tinker around way too much to use backups.

I backup settings, Cydia tweaks, and apps manually myself....instead of using iCloud or iTunes...that I way I know *exactly* what is being backed up and restored.

But in all general speaking....yes...iCloud backups are totally safe while jailbroken, and you can "Reset All Settings" and restore from an iCloud backup if you wish to do so.

Thanks that's why I was asking, I had to reset all settings once in order to restore from back up and I wanted to make sure I always had that backup incase it happened again. What do you use to manually back up?

Where can I find it? I couldn't find it in cydia. Sorry to keep buggin ya lol

MwSlim said:
Where can I find it? I couldn't find it in cydia. Sorry to keep buggin ya lol

No problem at all mate.

i-FunBox is a Windows/Mac application you download and install on your computer. It's not in Cydia.

Tho there are packages in Cydia that can backup all your Cydia tweaks without doing so manually.

PkgBackup is the most famous...but can be very confusing. Especially for a new user.

For new users I recommend xBackup.

i-FunBox is a USB SSH client that does basically what iFile does...except through your computer.

BTW....you have iFile installed right? If not....then buy it...you will be needing it at one point or another. Especially if you are going to use xBackup.

No problem at all mate.

i-FunBox is a Windows/Mac application you download and install on your computer. It's not in Cydia.

Tho there are packages in Cydia that can backup all your Cydia tweaks without doing so manually.

PkgBackup is the most famous...but can be very confusing. Especially for a new user.

For new users I recommend xBackup.

i-FunBox is a USB SSH client that does basically what iFile does...except through your computer.

BTW....you have iFile installed right? If not....then buy it...you will be needing it at one point or another. Especially if you are going to use xBackup.

No wonder I couldn't find it haha

I was looking at xbackup so I guess I'll give that one a try and I do have Ifile. I'm starting to get the hang of it, I've been messing around with one of my themes in ifile.

Thanks again, I owe ya! 👍

hey guys, wondering if you all could help me out a bit with this. This is my first time trying to jailbreak and I am having a couple of issues. When following the instructions, I get as far as opening absinthe in administrator mode but for some reason it does not detect my device at all (the PC does) and the jailbreak button cannot be clicked.
I have read through the thread and I have made sure that the phone has 5.1.1 already on and I have erased all content and settings (already backed it up) but still no luck... Any help please I have tried it on two different PC's with no luck

auzman said:
hey guys, wondering if you all could help me out a bit with this. This is my first time trying to jailbreak and I am having a couple of issues. When following the instructions, I get as far as opening absinthe in administrator mode but for some reason it does not detect my device at all (the PC does) and the jailbreak button cannot be clicked.
I have read through the thread and I have made sure that the phone has 5.1.1 already on and I have erased all content and settings (already backed it up) but still no luck... Any help please I have tried it on two different PC's with no luck

Make sure Absinthe.exe is in the Absinthe folder. It cannot be dragged to the desktop.

It has to be wherever the "data" folder is.

If it still not working then delete Absinthe and download again from Firefox or Google Chrome.

it is in the same folder as the data folder.... I have tried re-downloading it and it is still the same result :(

auzman said:
it is in the same folder as the data folder.... I have tried re-downloading it and it is still the same result :(

Have you tries clicking on the ordinal Absinthe folder. The one that extracts the Absinthe folder that has Absinthe.exe in it?

Try that...when it ask you if you want to overwrite...click yes.

unfrotunately for me I have tried it a couple of times

10th time lucky... It decided to randomly pick the phone up :) thanks

I am new to the forum so forgive me if the question is out of context of the original thread.

Do I need to "Reset All Settings" right after the jailbreak then do the icloud restore or just go straight to the icloud restore?

I have not jailbroken the phone yet. I am reading all the docs over a few times as well as looking over the To Do's things before the jailbreak and after the jailbreak.

Mostly concerned with backups after the jailbreak and to completly restore to unjailbreak 5.1.1 which I know how to do then restore backup which I have a copy now before I do the jailbreak.

Is there a thread on just these procedures and apps to use after a jailbreak like the ones you have mentioned already such as i-funbox, xbackups, ifile etc.

I am a linux/mac/windows user and have used putty before to SSH into my apple tv so I kind of have some backend knowledge of a unix kernel environment somewhat.

If I where to putty into the iphone could I basically save the folder contents that way or is the a better way?

Last edited: