What's new

How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 4 Using RedSn0w (Windows,TETHERED) [5.1]

Gregoris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
These are instructions on how to jailbreak your iPhone 4 on the 5.1 firmware using RedSn0w for Windows. The Mac version of this tutorial is coming soon.

Upgrading your iPhone to iOS 5.1 through iTunes will update your baseband, potential removing or ruining your chances for an unlock. I will be creating another thread for unlockers to upgrade while preserving the baseband.

Step One
Create a folder on your desktop called Pwnage

Download the latest version of RedSn0w from Here and place it in the Pwnage folder. Likewise, download the 5.1 firmware from Here and place it in the Pwnage folder. (Note: you do not need to download the 5.1 firmware if you are already on iOS 5.1)

Extract the RedSn0w zip file by double clicking it.

73196-500.png

Step Two: (You can skip this step if iOS 5.1 is already installed on your device)
Connect your iPhone to the computer and launch iTunes.

73190-64.png

Select your iPhone from the list of devices on the left. Now hold down Shift and click the Restorebutton. Restore is preferred as it won't create any wasted space on your iPhone.

73194-500.png

Navigate to the Pwnage folder on your desktop and select the 5.1 firmware ipsw. Click the Choosebutton to continue.

73198-500.png

iTunes will now update your iPhone to the new firmware.

Step Three
Launch the redsn0w application from the redsn0w folder we extracted earlier. You can do this by right clicking the executable and selecting Run as Administrator contextual menu.

73162-500.png

73163.png

Step Four
Once RedSn0w opens click the Jailbreak button

73166.png

Step Five
Plug your iPhone into the computer and make sure its OFF then click the Next button

73168.png

Step Six
RedSn0w will now guide you through the steps to get into DFU mode. You can find more help with DFU mode
Here

73170.png

Hold down both the Home button and the Power button for 10 seconds.

73172.png

Release the Power button and continue holding the Home button until RedSn0w detects the device.

73174.png

Step Seven
Your iPhone will now be exploited with limera1n and reboot

73175.png

Step Eight
RedSn0w will now prepare the jailbreak data.

73178.png

Step Nine
Select Cydia from the list of options and click Next.

73180.png

Step Ten
Your iPhone will now be rebooted again and RedSn0w will begin uploading the new RAM Disk and Kernel.

73182.png

Step Eleven
Once this is complete you will be notified that RedSn0w is done. When your iPhone finishes rebooting (5 minutes or so) it will be jailbroken with Cydia on the
SpringBoard.
73185.png

73186.png

BOOT TETHERED
Once you have jailbroken you will need to rerun redsn0w to boot tethered.

Step One
From the main RedSn0w menu click the Extras button.
73166.png

Step Two
Select Just boot from the Extras menu to just boot tethered.
73188.png

*As usual a big thanks to the iPhone Dev-Team and Geohot for their hard work and contribution to the iPhone community.

No. The 4S can only be jail broken on iOS 5.0.1. It cannot be jail broken on iOS 5.1, tethered or untethered.

Marilyn

Newbie here. What does teathered and unteathered mean?
I have a jailbroke 4s. If I don't update to 5.1 will i still be able to use phone normally? Whats a signature mean?

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work!

Newbie here. What does teathered and unteathered mean?
I have a jailbroke 4s. If I don't update to 5.1 will i still be able to use phone normally? Whats a signature mean?

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work!

Tethered means that every time you do a "slide to unlock," or reset/reboot your phone, to get it to turn on and work again, you have to have it connected to your computer to start it back up. No connection = phone won't work.

But, as I mentioned above, this only applies to phones OTHER than the 4S. Your phone, which I assume is on iOS 5.0.1 because you say it's jail broke, is fine. You can turn it off or reboot it without any issue because the Absinthe jail break was a non-tethered one (as in, you don't need a computer handy to get it going again).

Yes, if you don't upgrade to 5.1, you will be able to start the phone normally. This tether only applies to those without an iPhone 4S (and an iPad2, FWIW).

Just a caution here (as you self-ID'd as a newbie). Do NOT upgrade that 4S to iOS 5.1! The phone will work fine and be all upgraded and such, but it will no longer be jail broken. And, there is no way to go back. Just so's you know...

Marilyn

So using this method every time I use the slide to unlock the phone to use it I would have to be at a computer to make it work? I have the iPhone 4 with 5.1.

So using this method every time I use the slide to unlock the phone to use it I would have to be at a computer to make it work? I have the iPhone 4 with 5.1.
No... I think Marilyn just worded it different. Simply unlocking your phone from the lock screen w/ the "Slide to Unlock" doesn't require a Tethered "Just Boot." Tethered Booting is only required when your iDevice restars for ANY reason. Whether it's because the battery ran dead, you turned it off yourself, a package or tweak installed via Cydia requires a Reboot, etc.

Ooops! Sorry, that was a mistake in wording on my part. What I should have typed is "slide to turn off" (or "slide to power off”), which is where you turn the phone off. My bad and sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for catching it.

Marilyn

Ooops! Sorry, that was a mistake in wording on my part. What I should have typed is "slide to turn off" (or "slide to power off”), which is where you turn the phone off. My bad and sorry for the confusion. Thanks for catching it. Marilyn
LOL... I knew that's what you meant when I was reading it but, I can see where those who are unfamiliar w/ the difference could be confused. :)

Then I try to jailbreak my iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1 with redsnow 0.9.10b6 I keep getting shsh error check Internet I did was working fine and also says update to newest version of redsnow and that's the newest please help I have feted everything

ok problem. followed all the instructions to a T. Cyndia shows up on spring board but its white and when i click on it, it just opens and immediately closes. * when i went to reboot tethered and follow intructions to hold power then home button then just home button i get an error from windows that says redsnow had to close unexpectedly...... please help

btw i get to the the first upload and thats when it happens

Last edited:
ok problem. followed all the instructions to a T. Cyndia shows up on spring board but its white and when i click on it, it just opens and immediately closes. * when i went to reboot tethered and follow intructions to hold power then home button then just home button i get an error from windows that says redsnow had to close unexpectedly...... please help

btw i get to the the first upload and thats when it happens

You must boot tethered for Cydia to work. Alway make sure to drag the redsn0w.exe to desktop, right click on it and run as administrator.

If it still keeps giving you an error then download it again, on a guest account or from a different browser.

Anyone know when 5.1 untether will be released? Because I'm still deciding wether I should just jailbreak my phone or just wait it out.
I got a iOS 5.1 iPhone 4

iRich said:
Anyone know when 5.1 untether will be released? Because I'm still deciding wether I should just jailbreak my phone or just wait it out.
I got a iOS 5.1 iPhone 4

Seriously?? That really truly is the most pointless question to ask. No one knows. No one will ever be able to give you an answer. And if someone does...it's not an answer it's only speculation.

And if you did jailbreak your 5.1 and the untether came out, all you would have to do is run the new redsn0w over it, making sure to uncheck "install Cydia". Simple.

But no.....no one knows when the untether will be released...not even the developers that are trying to make the untether for 5.1. They just don't know what problems may lie ahead, so it's basically impossible for them to give an ETA (estimated time of arrival).

newbie here
iam on iphone 4 ios 5.1 if i install this jailbreak iam able to restart my phone in street or it stop on bootloop and one more question if untethered jailbreak launch and iam able to install untethered jailbreak if yes then pls tell me how?
:)