How to group iPhone contacts - anyting working for 3G and 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone General Discussion' started by moborob, Jun 8, 2012.

1. moborob

moborob New Member

Been wondering how to organize my iPhone contacts into groups. I have an older iPh3G and new one on its way and would like to start fresh with my contacts being placed in categories. Heard that this could be possible via using existing Gmail contact categories and then syncing via Exchange - is that possible? I have my iphone 3g contacts currently synced with my Gmail account via Exchange but haven't noticed transfer over of groups. All I want is to have a set of groups on the old iPhone so that when I sync my new iPhone with my Gmail account the groups transfer over. Hope all this is not too confusing.
  2. jimt29

jimt29 Member

Check out a program called Contacts EX.

I have the 3GS, IOS 5.1.1 and didn't get my groups to sync either. But using Contacts EX I set up the groups and they appeared in iPhone Contacts. There is a feature to import Google contacts but I can't speak for it as I didn't try it.
  3. ClavisHon

ClavisHon New Member

Alternatively, you can use copytrans contacts in order to create contact groups on your iPhones.

1. Download and run copytrans contacts and connect your iPhone
    2. Create a new iPhone contacts group by right-clicking on the Groups pane and clicking on "New contact".

[​IMG]

3. Give your contact group a name and drag-drop a selection of contacts you wish to figure within that group

[​IMG]

This is a quick way to create and edit contact groups on your iPhone.

Regarding the transfer of contacts from your 3G to your new iPhone 4S, you can also do that using the same program. With your old iPhone connected, drag and drop all of the contacts from the copytrans contacts window to a folder on your computer. Then connect your new iPhone and drag - drop the contact entries from your PC to your new iPhone.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. moborob

moborob New Member

Clavis thanks for the steps. I have since tested the tool and it has worked flawlessly in creating contact groups on both my iPhones.

FYI: I used the contacts program to also manually transfer my old 3GS contacts to my new iPhone without having to sync the latter with Google. This has allowed me to start clean and sync my new iPhone directly to the iCloud after I had my contacts transfered. Now I have my new iPhone and iCloud complete with my old 3G contacts.