What's new

HOW TO - Fix Recovery Loop following a downgrade

In a moment of clarity this afternoon, I realised I could have saved myslef a lot of hassle if I'd used 4.3.5 as in intermediate "pit-stop" on my way from iOS5b7 back to 4.3.3.
I just tested it out, and sure enough, with the latest TinyUmbrella and all the necessary blobs I was able to get back to 4.3.5 and then 4.3.3 without a single recovery or DFU loop... Easy when you know how! I'm going to do a short write up on it tonight to help others out (hopefully)...

Hi, did you try this one? I used your great guide to exit a recovery loop having upgraded to 4.3.3 from 4.2.1 but now I'm stuck with no carrier bundle. So I was thinking that maybe going to 4.3.5 and then back to 4.3.3 could sort that out.
Thanks

Hi,

I have an iphone 4 on iOS 4.3.5 tethered jailbroken and would really love to downgrade it to 4.3.3 as i do have the SHSH saved using tinyumbrella. I always enter the recovery loop and even fixrecovery43.exe still doesnt work for me. Iv tried many tutorials from the different sites but i still get stuck on the recovery loop. Im not looking for a solution in which i can later unlock the iphone as my carrier is the same carrier the iphone is locked to. Im using the lastest tinyumbrella and tinyumbrella recovery fix there is aswell as iTunes 10.4 on windows 7 32bit. My baseband is 04.10.01 and i never had no iOS 5 installed before.

Please can someone help me :(

EDIT: will the first post on the thread work in my situation? I was cautious about trying it because it talks about the idevice being in DFU loop which mine isnt.
Thanks

Last edited:
I was having this same issue and the way I got mine to work was I made a new admin account. There was something on the other account causing me problems. After I did that I was able to downgrade. Good luck

I was having this same issue and the way I got mine to work was I made a new admin account. There was something on the other account causing me problems. After I did that I was able to downgrade. Good luck

Thanks dude, i will try on another admin accnt on another pc.

Okay, I will try to make this short.

iTunes tried: 10.4.1.10, 10.2.0.34, 10.1.2.7, 10.2.2.12,
SHSH available: 4.3, 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5
Current firmware: 4.3.5

I can easily update to the stock 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 firmware WITHOUT loops. But when I downgrade to 4.3.3 I end up in the recovery loop.

I use redsn0w to put the device in pwned DFU mode, TU for the TSS server, and iTunes for the restore.

I have tried the stock: "iPod4,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw"
I have tried custom snowbreeze: "sn0wbreeze_iPod Touch 4-4.3.3.ipsw"
I have tried signed iFaith: "iFaith_iPod_Touch_4-4.3.3 (8J2)_signed.ipsw"

I have tried every possible combination but don't see where I'm going wrong. fixrecovery, irecovery, and TU fix recovery do not fix the loop.

If I can downgrade from 4.3.5 to 4.3.4 using the same steps, what could be stopping me from going down to 4.3.3?

Please reply if you know what you're talking about ;)

Oh, and I can boot tethered using resn0w and jailbreak using jailbreakme.com but I can't get this POS to stay untethered. Turn it off and it goes right back into a DFU loop. Ideas?

Sorry to tag this on here, I've tried to create a new thread but I evidently don't have permission yet.

I have a 3GS in a restore loop. I don't need or want a jailbreak or unlock.

Is there a way to revirginise? I thought the way to do this was with iTunes - is it the new version of iTunes that has scuppered me?

Will installing an older version allow me to do a straightforward upgrade?

Thanks!

Sorry to tag this on here, I've tried to create a new thread but I evidently don't have permission yet.

Is there a way to revirginise? I thought the way to do this was with iTunes - is it the new version of iTunes that has scuppered me?

Thanks!

Just hit restore in iTunes

Thanks!

Just hit restore in iTunes

If only it were that simple!! I will try doing as you say with an older version of iTunes. Maybe that will work. Because with the version I have now ( the most recent ), it most definitely does not!