What's new

HOW TO - Fix Recovery Loop following a downgrade

theboomr said:
So far this method has not worked for me at all in any of the various permutations that people have posted....earlier I tried even just restoring to stock iOS 4.3.5 and it still went into recovery loops...Now, though, it has successfully restored to 4.3.5.
I was on 4.3.3, jailbroken, and I wanted to do a full restore and start over because I had terrible lag and it pissed me off, lol. So, I tried to use some methods found online to restore to 4.3.3 not 4.3.5. But nothing worked, and I read somewhere that you have to upgrade to 4.3.5 then downgrade to whatever it is that you want. Sooo I tried restoring to 4.3.5, as mentioned above.
Now that it's running 4.3.5 I'm going to try downgrading to 4.3.3...wish me luck.

The main problem I had with this method was the same as a few people mentioned several pages back: after using redsnow, my phone never got to the spinning and/or the pineapple logo...in fact, during all the text that normally scrolls down the screen during jailbreak, I'm pretty sure that something went wrong during that process, because the text didn't look the same as I had remembered from previous jailbreaking experience. And after a relatively short time during the text, the phone just reboots and goes back to the recovery logo, and TU won't pull it out. Aarrghghh!

You shouldn't have too many problems if you are back on 4.3.5 stock and have blobs for 4.3.3 unless your baseband is updated.
Did you install any of the IOS5 betas? What is the version of your BB? Go Settings > Gerneal > About and let us know what it says for "Modem Firmware".

If it is 04.10.01 then you should simply be able to use TinyUmbrella to downgrade your firmware as long as you tick the first option on the Advanced page which allows TU to update the baseband. This will ensure the signature process for the baseband completes normally and the restore will succeed. If you don't have 4.10.01 it will be a bit more of a struggle...

Let us know.

Last edited:
I think by reading all the post it's highly likely he has updated his bb

Redsnow can be a complex jb

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, I did finally get it to work....it finally restored properly to 4.3.5 (with the bb update box checked in tu) and after that it actually restored perfectly with no errors back to 4.3.3 with tu running its tss server. Hurray! :)

theboomr said:
Thanks for the tips, I did finally get it to work....it finally restored properly to 4.3.5 (with the bb update box checked in tu) and after that it actually restored perfectly with no errors back to 4.3.3 with tu running its tss server. Hurray! :)

Good effort. Glad you got it working...

Congrats on fixing it, i remember when i was stuck in boot for 3 days and i had to use 4 programmes at the same time to reboot the damn thing... horrible process but thats what you get when you mess with software, it just comes with the territory lol

For info, I have updated the first post of this thread.

Last night I decided to downgrade my 5.0.7beta to 4.3.3 to test some applications I have been developing. To my surprise I ended up in a true DFU loop (which I didn't think was possible up to this point) once the downgrade to 4.3.3 completed. Normally, I would have expected a recovery loop, because my baseband has been upgraded throughout the iOS5 beta.

Apple seems to have upped the ante in iTunes and now when an IOS restore does not result in a successful baseband install the result is a DFU loop. Very scary... Even worse, after a couple of hours trying all the usual tools I was unable to rectify it. Until...

I realised it was iTunes which was changing the restore process, so I used an older version (10.2) to preform the 4.3.3 downgrade again. This time it ended in a recovery loop which was just as I expected. Then I was able to use the process in the first thread to successfully get out of that recovery loop and ended up with a normally jailbroken 4.3.3 iPhone4! Whew!

Just for fun, I decided to test it out again. I re-installed the iTunes 10.5 beta and used this to reinstall 4.3.3. The result was a DFU loop which was impossible to exit without updating to IOS5.0beta7.

I then used iTunes 10.2 again to downgrade to 4.3.3 and ended in a recovery loop and used the first post to exit it.
Once again (for the second time) I have a 4.3.3 JB iPhone4, but that is 4 hours of my life I will never get back.

Still, hope this information helps anyone who now attempts a downgrade with the latest iTunes and ends up in a DFU loop! Try an older version. It's easy to find on with google - "old itunes"

Last edited:
Seems we are gonna need to be Leary of updating our iTunes software. Thanks for the heads up

In a moment of clarity this afternoon, I realised I could have saved myslef a lot of hassle if I'd used 4.3.5 as in intermediate "pit-stop" on my way from iOS5b7 back to 4.3.3.
I just tested it out, and sure enough, with the latest TinyUmbrella and all the necessary blobs I was able to get back to 4.3.5 and then 4.3.3 without a single recovery or DFU loop... Easy when you know how! I'm going to do a short write up on it tonight to help others out (hopefully)...

If it is 04.10.01 then you should simply be able to use TinyUmbrella to downgrade your firmware as long as you tick the first option on the Advanced page which allows TU to update the baseband. This will ensure the signature process for the baseband completes normally and the restore will succeed. If you don't have 4.10.01 it will be a bit more of a struggle...

Let us know.

Noooooo joke! Here's my problem.

Got my new iPhone 4G from AT&T this week. I made note of the IOS (4.3.5) but never made note of the baseband. My guess is that it is the newest baseband available.

Tried to jailbreak with redsn0w and IPSW 4.3.3. Recovery loop. Tried to do a tethered jailbreak with redsn0w and IPSW 4.3.4. Same recovery loop.

My end goal right now: to get my phone back to the state it arrived.

Got my new iPhone 4G from AT&T this week. I made note of the IOS (4.3.5) but never made note of the baseband. My guess is that it is the newest baseband available.

Tried to jailbreak with redsn0w and IPSW 4.3.3. Recovery loop. Tried to do a tethered jailbreak with redsn0w and IPSW 4.3.4. Same recovery loop.

Clarification: I have exhausted the usual Recovery loop recommendations. I suspect this is a baseband/blobs issue...

Clarification: I have exhausted the usual Recovery loop recommendations. I suspect this is a baseband/blobs issue...

I had same error. I fixed it by:-
Getting IPSW 4.3.5
Getting tiny umbrella
Getting Redsn0w

H
Run redsnow upto the page where it tells you to put ur phone in dfu mode (go boot tethered option).

Run tiny umbrella and put phone in dfu, and click fix recovery. Now redsn0w will boot the phone up.

Restore with itunes now if you don't like the tethered jailbreak.

Does this tutorial work for the iPhone 3GS as well?

Mine is stuck in DFU loop, after a jailbreak / BB update!!!

I know i have to use custom iOS now (i'm on BB 06.15.00) but itunes crashes with error 28!

The only iOS that dont get any error on iTunes is the 3.2.1, it seams to restore the iPhone but on the restart it just enter the DFU loop again!