What's new

How to fix iBooks on jailbroken iOS5 devices

Jmills87

Reaction score
UPDATE: The latest release of redsn0w (redsn0w_win_0.9.10b4) fixes the iBooks issue. If you are already jailbroken on redsn0w, simply re-run the jailbreak (but be sure to UNcheck "Install Cydia").

So those of you who are jailbroken on iOS5 probably know that iBooks doesn't work once you're jailbroken. However, a workaround has been discovered that will fix it.

Step 1. Install iBooks through the App Store(if its already installed, remove it and then reinstall it through the App Store app, but don't open it yet).

Step 2. Copy iBooks.app from /var/mobile/Applications/(iBook's coded folder)/ to /var/stash/Applications using iFile

Step 3. Change CFBundleIdentifier in /var/stash/Applications/iBooks.app/Info.plist from com.apple.iBooks to com.apple.iBooksFix

Step 4. Respring

Once you respring iBooks should work fine, but then your iBooks icon will be square instead of rounded, you can fix that by saving the images below and replacing the ones in /var/stash/Applications/iBooks.app/

iconiphone2x.png

[email protected]

iconiphone.png

Icon-iPhone.png

iconipad.png

Icon-iPad.png

iconsettings2x.png

[email protected]

iconsettings.png

Icon-Settings.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the books still cost money? If so is there anyway to get books for free on a jail broken iphone?

There are free books, but yes, most of them cost money. Also, we do not support the discussion of piracy here.

Unleashed said:
Basically just re jailbreak with that version that was released and it includes the ibooks fix, just dont select to install cydia

Thanks Unleashed... I'll give it a try. One more question, will my apps stay installed or will I lose them? I have Intelliscreenx and a few other apps I would like to remain the same.

I've looked at instructions/videos from various different places for fixing the iBooks issue. Most of them use iFile. It appears all that is done is to copy the iBooks app from the sandboxed app location to the non-sandboxed app location, changing the name of the non-sandboxed app and replacing the non-sandboxed app icon with the ones available above.

My question is - Is there any reason why this cannot be done just via mobile terminal or by SSH to the phone, followed by:
1. "cp -r /var/mobile/Applications/(iBook's coded folder) /var/stash/Applications/(same ibook folder name?)"
2. less, pico (or whatever editor is available) Info.plist and change the value for CFBundleIdentifier
3. And if there are problems with using iTunes to do the syncing (I don't know I haven't tried yet), to put a symbolic link or something from the iBooksFixed documents folder to the iBooks(original) documents folder.

Thanks

I've looked at instructions/videos from various different places for fixing the iBooks issue. Most of them use iFile. It appears all that is done is to copy the iBooks app from the sandboxed app location to the non-sandboxed app location, changing the name of the non-sandboxed app and replacing the non-sandboxed app icon with the ones available above.

My question is - Is there any reason why this cannot be done just via mobile terminal or by SSH to the phone, followed by:
1. "cp -r /var/mobile/Applications/(iBook's coded folder) /var/stash/Applications/(same ibook folder name?)"
2. less, pico (or whatever editor is available) Info.plist and change the value for CFBundleIdentifier
3. And if there are problems with using iTunes to do the syncing (I don't know I haven't tried yet), to put a symbolic link or something from the iBooksFixed documents folder to the iBooks(original) documents folder.

Thanks

or you could just run the newest version of redsn0w and skip all of that hassle

Thanks Unleashed,

I kept looking around to see if it could be done without iFile and only realized that they had fixed the whole issue after the post. I installed corona (1.0-5) which I think is equivalent to updating redsnow from 0.9.10b3 to 0.9.10b4 and my original ibooks 2.0 now works.

I am still curious though as to whether the terminal method works (for knowledge's sake)...