What's new

How to downgrade or preserve the firmware of your iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I belive you can still update to it with redsnow or you can use a custom ipsw with it on it.

A custom ipsw is a modified version of the update you would normally download through iTunes. Due to the fact that the iPad baseband is a higher version than that of the iPhones, when you try to restore or upgrade your trying to go to an earlier baseband. Since iTunes won't let you you need to use a custom ipsw with the ipad baseband already installed. You can download custom ipsw from the net or a safer option is to create your own using pwnage tool for mac or snowbreeze for windows.

Once jailbroken you need install ultrasnow from cydia to unlock your phone...

ok i think i know how to unlock it once i have cydia installed. I just have to wait now for the jailbreak to be released for 4.3.1 because the jailbreak needs to be done first right? And the jailbreak is what will install cydia? What exactly does jailbreaking it do? I have only ever heard of unlocking so you can use any sim card. I really appreciate all your help. Once the jailbreak is released it will be through snowbreeze? and will their instructions be clear enough for a rookie like me?

ok i think i know how to unlock it once i have cydia installed. I just have to wait now for the jailbreak to be released for 4.3.1 because the jailbreak needs to be done first right? And the jailbreak is what will install cydia? What exactly does jailbreaking it do? I have only ever heard of unlocking so you can use any sim card. I really appreciate all your help. Once the jailbreak is released it will be through snowbreeze? and will their instructions be clear enough for a rookie like me?

Yes first u will need to jailbreak before u can unlock the phone, now about the jailbreak, like the name is saying, it will pull out your iOS from jail, this will allow u to do whatever you want on the phone, in one word "freedom" just like one out of jail. U will be able to install 1000 of applications that are not step into the apple application store, look you will even be able to do much more than installing applications, just jailbreak and you will figure it out by yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Will this work if I was jailbroken on a previous phone and restored on the new one from a backup of the old one?

you cant downgrade baseband ( modem firmware) so it will be the same as you have now

that would be good if you could just dl any shsh's and it would work.

Unleashed, I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.

My buddy's 3G(3.1.2) is jailbroken and Shsh's are all backed up. I'm trying to put him on 4.0.1 on my Macbook Air. I've put in DFU correctly, I have the correct firmware saved on my computer(8A306, 4.0.1) and when I go into iTunes it says extracting software and then tells me the download is not requested for the build. How do I get around that? I read that you have to able system32 on windows and copy and paste a line. Help please!

Thanks

i would stay away from 4.XX on the iphone 3g you will regret it.. plus because the iphone 3g latest firmware is 4.2.1 you would need shsh blobs from 4.0.1, so what you are trying wont work. you can upgrade to 4.2.1 and when you regret it you can downgrade back to 3.1.3 because you have them blobs saved

i would stay away from 4.XX on the iphone 3g you will regret it.. plus because the iphone 3g latest firmware is 4.2.1 you would need shsh blobs from 4.0.1, so what you are trying wont work. you can upgrade to 4.2.1 and when you regret it you can downgrade back to 3.1.3 because you have them blobs saved

Thanks for responding.

I do have all the shsh's saved on his device(4.0,4.0.1,4.0.2,4.1,4.2)

He realizes that it may be slower than his currenct FW, but it doesn't matter to him. There are certain apps that he wants on his phone(MLB) that require at least 4.0, but we cannot install because of 3.1.2.

Can you explain why the process on my Mac is not working???

Much appreciated.

If its a 3G then no SHSH's are required. Also make sure you have the correct firmware file for your device. The 3GS firmware file wont work for the 3G. The link below is for 4.0.1 for a 3G (not 3GS)

iPhone1,2_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw

P.S. I understand your friend has his reasons to upgrade but I agree completely with unleashed on staying away from iOS 4 on a 3G...

Status
Not open for further replies.