What's new

How many iphone 4s you had replced since it came out due to batery problem?

Skull One said:
That is incorrect. The iPhone goes to Stage 4 charging for X minutes after hitting 100% and stops. It then cycles off till the battery falls below a certain voltage point and then starts Stage 4 charging back up.

BTW; I plan on writing an article to show exactly how an iPhone charges very soon because of all the misconceptions and bad information on the internet. I hope to get my pictures, video and test data done this Memorial Day weekend.

Isnt that basically the same thing? Okay, perhaps not slow and "steady" but my point really was that it doesnt just keep pumping juice into the phone...even tho I actually said "steady" current..I didn't really word that right..However at least now I understand it a "little" better..being that I don't know what the difference is between stage 1 and stage 5.

How many stages? Is the high stage when it's basically full, or is the lower stage when it's basically full?

Four stages for Lithium-Ion. I'll use what I think is being done with the iPhone as my example. I hope to prove exactly how it works this weekend.

1st stage I believe is 0% to 85%. This is full amperage.

2nd stage is from 85% to 96%. I think it is around 65 to 70% amperage.

3rd stage is from 96% to 100%. I think it is around 30 to 45% amperage.

4th stage is topping off and maintenance. I think it is around 15% amperage or less.

I seriously can't wait to pull this completely apart to get the real numbers. Because I am still curious if Apple uses Stage 3 at all. I have observed charging times that suggest there is, but I don't know for sure.

Improper DC voltage will burn out the iPhone long before you can charge the battery. Improper AC voltage to the DC charger can destroy the charger. Now how it destroys the charger is whether or not it can cause an issue with the charging the battery. But if you use Apple's DC charger, you will not have an issue since it is one of the best designed chargers on the market.

And I don't need Google to tell me how this works. 28 years as a certified electronics technician has taught me exactly how this works ;). BTW all those horror stories go back to one of two things. Poorly designed circuits or human error. There hasn't been an investigation yet that didn't show exactly how the circuit was compromised and every time it was human error or an engineering/manufacturing error.

Well what you say is true to use the proper charging device like apples as it should fry it before the phone, but one can never tell.

I never use a non-apple house charger. I do however use a non-apple charger at times in my car as i never found a good priced apple one yet.

Human error is a huge factor is misused devices, manufacturing is a huge factor as well, but human error is 80% of the time the culprit.

Four stages for Lithium-Ion. I'll use what I think is being done with the iPhone as my example. I hope to prove exactly how it works this weekend.

1st stage I believe is 0% to 85%. This is full amperage.

2nd stage is from 85% to 96%. I think it is around 65 to 70% amperage.

3rd stage is from 96% to 100%. I think it is around 30 to 45% amperage.

4th stage is topping off and maintenance. I think it is around 15% amperage or less.

I seriously can't wait to pull this completely apart to get the real numbers. Because I am still curious if Apple uses Stage 3 at all. I have observed charging times that suggest there is, but I don't know for sure.

I think your bang on, but i only seen 3 stages in charge cycle when testing with certain apps. There could be the fourth stage to top off when phone is fully charged and charger is still in to maintain 100%, but maybe it just 3 stages and when it drops in charge the 3rd stage is used to top off.

Please keep me posted if ya rip it apart to test.

I wonder if the stages do NOT start properly when the phone is being heavily used *while* it is charging. You know...since it might stay at a certain percentage for too long from being used while charging...know what a mean?

I wonder if the stages do NOT start properly when the phone is being heavily used *while* it is charging. You know...since it might stay at a certain percentage for too long from being used while charging...know what a mean?

Actually i have noticed when i have uses the phone while it was charging. It takes a heck of a lot longer to charge and it can get really hot. I only have done this a few times in emergency situations.

But i must say the stages start properly, but would cut out and in as your using up battery juice while its trying to charge, again takes a lot longer to say go from 30-80% i if i remember about twice as long.

Why is it that when I plug my iPhone 4s at bedtime, then wake in the morning it says anywhere from 97-99 percent battery, but after a reboot it will be 99 or 100 and goes down from 100 with use while on the charger but, my iPad 1 does none of this. It can stay on charger for days with heavy use and never goes down.

Why is it that when I plug my iPhone 4s at bedtime, then wake in the morning it says anywhere from 97-99 percent battery

That part is really easy to answer. Stage 4 charging is periodic. That means that the phone naturally starts discharging until it hits a certain point and then trips of Stage 4 charging again. I believe that trip point is 96%.

but after a reboot it will be 99 or 100 and goes down from 100 with use while on the charger but, my iPad 1 does none of this. It can stay on charger for days with heavy use and never goes down.

iPad uses a MUCH larger battery than the iPhone. And because of this, its standby time and periodic Stage 4 differs greatly.

Plus if you leave a iPhone or iPad on the charger and never take it off, once it reads 100% it will NEVER read anything else. Apple stated that publicly a while back ;)

Why is it that when I plug my iPhone 4s at bedtime, then wake in the morning it says anywhere from 97-99 percent battery, but after a reboot it will be 99 or 100 and goes down from 100 with use while on the charger but, my iPad 1 does none of this. It can stay on charger for days with heavy use and never goes down.

Yeah Oscar I have same problem I don't know why it is doing that that’s why I replaced it and bought a new iphone now it's working good.