What's new

How else can I activate Siri without having to hold-down Home button for 1 full sec?

You'll love Assistive Touch, Aeromonk. It addresses your exact situation and is built into iOS5 which is available for 3GS, 4 and 4s. It's built right into the iOS. I'm surprised Col.Bris, who works for Apple (I'm pretty sure) - didn't think of it. Tell us how you like it..

Okay I just got off the phone with Apple tech support and they said as of right now assistive touch cannot be used to activate the Siri program, because Siri is still in beta testing and there is only one way to activate Siri and that's by holding down the real home button for a few seconds. The funny thing is if you go back into Settings and you turn off Siri, then you can use the artificial home button from assistive touch to activate the Voice Control program, Which doesn't make any sense to me. I would think if you can use the assistive touch home button to activate the voice control program a person would think you would be able to use the same assistive touch home button to activate the Siri program so hopefully they'll fix that.

And when I say the "voice control program" I mean the one that came out awhile ago for the iPhone 3GS, you know the one with a blue screen that you can use your voice to make phone calls.

So, I'm back to square-one.

Oh my! You're kidding me!! I thought for sure - Assistive Touch would activate Siri. Sorry for the bum steer, Aero. And wow.. So -- Voice Control (blue screen) is STILL around??! I loved that for making calls. When Siri places calls for you it takes so much longer because she has to access Apple's servers. Voice Control was built into the firmware of the phone.. :-(

Not only is it still around, it seems to be much improved over the iOS 4.x. version. I couldn't get it to work well enough with my Bluetooth speakerphone to trust it to dial phone numbers for me. Now with iOS 5 I have very few problems.

I really thought assistive touch home button was going to work, but I guess not. So yeah I would definitely like to go back to our original idea of having a developer create an application that will be used activate Siri instead of waiting for Apple to fix the coding, because who knows how long that's going to take. And I just can't wait two or three months for Apple to figure out the problem and fix it, because I really need to start using the Siri program now, that's why I bought the iPhone 4S. So any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

I really thought assistive touch home button was going to work, but I guess not. So yeah I would definitely like to go back to our original idea of having a developer create an application that will be used activate Siri instead of waiting for Apple to fix the coding, because who knows how long that's going to take. And I just can't wait two or three months for Apple to figure out the problem and fix it, because I really need to start using the Siri program now, that's why I bought the iPhone 4S. So any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Hi and welcome to the forum,
Once a jailbreak is available you could use activator and set Siri to open however you like eg double tap the screen. Not sure if you want to jailbreak however.

as an alternative thought, the Griffin Survivor case has a raised home button, this being wider allowing you to spread what force you do have, and so more accessible - is it an option?

customer if mine is severely handicapped, has about the same strength as a starving baby (his words).

he had a simple spring steel lever made which looks onto the phone and presses down in the button, looks very much like a morse code key tbh.

Hi and welcome to the forum,
Once a jailbreak is available you could use activator and set Siri to open however you like eg double tap the screen. Not sure if you want to jailbreak however.

No I don't want to jailbreak my phone, but thanks for the idea.

I also don't really want to attach anything to my iPhone either, so I'm hoping that there is a way to do this – meaning that Apple can fix the coding and make it work.

I did finally find a way to use the Siri program, but it can only be done when I'm at the lock screen. As long as assistive touch is turned on, and I'm at the lock screen, then I can use the artificial home button and hold it down to activate Siri. But I'm hoping that they can fix this, so that I will be able to use Siri even when my iPhone is on and open - I don't want to only be able to use Siri if I'm at the lock screen.