What's new

How does deleting work with iCloud data?

sharonfrommpls

Reaction score
Suppose you have an iPad and an iPhone both using the same iCloud, and both syncing Contacts. How do you remove a contact?

• If you remove the contact from one of the devices, will it disappear from iCloud and from the other device? Or will it just keep reappearing in your address book every time you sync with iCloud?
  • If you delete a contact on iCloud, will it then disappear from all devices?
  • How does iCloud work with the address book on your computer? The one that used to sync with your iPhone over iTunes (e.g., Windows Address Book). Is this application even in the picture anymore once you start using iCloud?
  • Has anybody found any documentation from Apple that talks about details like this? All the info I could find on iCloud was extremely vague. It only talks about adding information, never about changing or deleting it.

Suppose you have an iPad and an iPhone both using the same iCloud, and both syncing Contacts. How do you remove a contact?
  • If you remove the contact from one of the devices, will it disappear from iCloud and from the other device? Or will it just keep reappearing in your address book every time you sync with iCloud?
  • If you delete a contact on iCloud, will it then disappear from all devices?
  • How does iCloud work with the address book on your computer? The one that used to sync with your iPhone over iTunes (e.g., Windows Address Book). Is this application even in the picture anymore once you start using iCloud?
  • Has anybody found any documentation from Apple that talks about details like this? All the info I could find on iCloud was extremely vague. It only talks about adding information, never about changing or deleting it.
I have decided to turn everything off for iCloud except Find My Phone, because I have noticed that you cannot delete photos stored in iCloud, so I guess it might be the same for all the other stuff. What is the point of having a storage if you cannot edit or delete what you have stored? So you have no control of your own stuff. That's very stupid.

Yes you can delete pictures from iCloud using ifun program you have to download

To be fair, iCloud is apparently intended as a conduit for syncing multiple Apple devices, not as "cloud storage." Admittedly, they are asking for confusion by using "cloud" to mean something slightly different than what everybody else means by it. But let's take it for what it is and give it a chance.

Personally, I don't see much use for a mechanism that automatically syncs all information among all my devices. But I gather that some people find it handy, and maybe someday I will too. I'm just trying to figure out how it actually works.

And you CAN edit some of the data in iCloud, just not the pictures.

To be fair, iCloud is apparently intended as a conduit for syncing multiple Apple devices, not as "cloud storage." .

Is that your interpretation? If you click on iCloud and your account what do you see? Storage Plan 5GB Free. Choose and Upgrade: 10GB $21.00/year, 15GB total Icloud Storage and you get 25GB Storage, 55GB Storage. So according to you storage does not mean storage, yeah right, what dictionary is that?

Photo Stream is a separate service that just uses the AppleID and a small part of your iCloud space to temporarily (30 days) hold photos to sync to all devices. ...But contacts, calendars and bookmarks 'sync' the way you'd think they should. Adding or deleting from any one iDevice and computer. Including the Address Book app on your computer.

Yeah, I guess that's a more accurate way to look at it. Some of the iCloud features are intended for storage, but not Photo Stream. I think that's confusing, but maybe that's just me.

So... if a contact is deleted from any device that participates in the iCloud cluster it immediately disappears from all the Address Books? Even if the device where the contact was deleted was not the device where it was originally created? And it also disappears from what you might have been thinking of as your Contacts backup application on your computer? Does this seem like a good idea to everybody? (Hint: it doesn't to me).

For couples sharing an iCloud account this sounds like a recipe for divorce.

Yeah, I guess that's a more accurate way to look at it. Some of the iCloud features are intended for storage, but not Photo Stream. I think that's confusing, but maybe that's just me.

So... if a contact is deleted from any device that participates in the iCloud cluster it immediately disappears from all the Address Books? Even if the device where the contact was deleted was not the device where it was originally created? And it also disappears from what you might have been thinking of as your Contacts backup application on your computer? Does this seem like a good idea to everybody? (Hint: it doesn't to me).

For couples sharing an iCloud account this sounds like a recipe for divorce.

My experience with iCloud is only through PhotoStream when I took a few photos of no significance which I wanted to get rid of. When I upgraded to iOS5, I started the iCloud backup, but it took so long that I decided to cancel it and turned iCloud storage off, so I cannot talk about contacts or any other backup, I prefer to backup on my computer, at least I know what to do and have full control. In iCloud, I have everything off: Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Bookmarks, Notes, Photo Stream. I have Documents & Data on and I have no clue about it and I also have Find My iPhone on.