How do you tell if using cell service or wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone 4 FAQ' started by txodd, Jun 10, 2011.

1. txodd

txodd New Member

Since my phone plan isn't very...well enough going "over" on data and the like isn't a good idea. Wifi I know will lessen the horror phone plans can inflict but how can you tell when an app or whatever is using the cell signal or the wifi? If I turn on airplane mode I turn everything "off" to the outside world...right? Is it possible to "turn off" or whatever you call it the phone service while using it in a wifi area (manually)?
  2. The Game

The Game New Member

Any time wifi is on and connected, you'll be using wifi. I'm sure you can turn airplane mode on and still be able to turn on wifi.
  3. Nickp

Nickp New Member

You can turn Airplane mode ON and then go into the WiFi setting and turn just WiFi on. The easiest way to tell is to look at your signal meter. if the WiFi symbol is displayed (looks like 3 or 4 curves stacked on top of each other) then you are connected and using WiFi. If you meter says 3G, you are on cellular.
  4. junta

junta New Member

You can disable cellular data (3G) in settings and it will always use WiFi for the lack of choice. I wouldnt recommend airplaine mode because you might miss important calls or messages while the network connection is disabled.
  5. iCrank

iCrank Member

when your phone is connected to wifi it takes over the connection. turning off the 3G helps but its not required to in this case.