What's new

How Do You Receive and Store Music on Your Devices?

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
Hi all. It is me, technologically challenged HunnieBunnie with a new question. This one is about music. I know I am supposed to have storage on both my MacBook Air and my iPhone, but how does someone send me music??

A friend emailed me today and offered to send me an album over the Internet. He asked what sort of storage am I using, e.g. Drop Box (?). I really do not know! (LOL) I think I am supposed to have something called a "cloud" with Apple, but I am not sure about that either. Please tell me what to do?!

Thanks,
HunnieBunnie

If you use Dropbox, you'll be able to store music there, and play it as well. Dropbox on an iDevice supports mp3, aiff, m4a and wav files.

It's also possible to store and play the songs in OneDrive.

All you have to do when you receive an email, is use the "Open In..." feature to get them to one of these.

What you can't do, is add it to your songs in the Music app. The only songs you'll find there, will be the ones downloaded from iTunes Store, or those imported to iTunes, from a CD, e.g.

Thanks, guys. I am still confused, though. Will this DropBox thing allow me to put the songs on my MacBook and my iPhone? Sorry, but the tech language is really Greek to me. Thanks!

You can download Dropbox, the app, on your iPhone. You'll have to login with your account, then you'll be able to listen to the songs. They are not on your device, they are online. (Dropbox is a cloud service.) It's possible to listen to them offline as well, though. You just need to mark them as favorites. In that case, they'll use storage space on your iPhone.

If you don't have an account yet, you'll have to register to use Dropbox.

It's also possible to install Dropbox on your MacBook. It's the same here: login to access the files and listen to them.

Or, after you install Dropbox on your mac, you save the music files from Dropbox, and sync the music onto your phone thru iTunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk