What's new

How do I unjailbreak my iPhone4s

Hemihouse

Reaction score
I have a 4s running 6.1.2, I didn't realize I needed to get to 6.1.3 before ios7 came out and now I'm stuck. I don't mind being on 6.1.2 but is there a way to go back to stock if I need to take my phone in for apple care? One of my speakers is currently blown and I would like to fix if possible.

Thanks, Todd

You don't need to install 6.1.3 before you can get to iOS 7. Restoring in DFU mode using iTunes and selecting the latest iOS firmware for your device will revert your device back to stock. Once you upgrade, you can never downgrade back with or without SHSH blobs and APTickets.

Ok, so I can go into DFU mode and then open iTunes and it will let me upgrade which will eventually get me to IOS7? That would be great!

iTunes will download the latest firmware for your device (7.0.4) and installs it onto your device. Restoring a device is the only way to get rid of a jailbreak.

Ok, so I put the phone in DFU mode and iTunes started a restore but after downloading 6.1.3 it said the file could not be read from the hard disk. Would this be a problem with my computer? Luckily I got the phone back out of DFU and its ok for now.

Ok, so I put the phone in DFU mode and iTunes started a restore but after downloading 6.1.3 it said the file could not be read from the hard disk. Would this be a problem with my computer? Luckily I got the phone back out of DFU and its ok for now.

You can't install iOS 6.1.3 onto an iPhone 4S. The only iOS version you can install is iOS 7.0.4 (the most current).

So, download iOS 7.0.4 and then start over again with the DFU mode to restore to that iOS.

Marilyn

My iTunes won't give the option for 7.0.4, if I try to restore it only gives the option for 6.1.3.

Last edited:
I have an old PowerBook running 10.5.8 and iTunes is on 10.6.3, both say they are updated as far as possible. I have used this Mac to update my phone every time in the past. This is the first time it has given me trouble.

I have an old PowerBook running 10.5.8 and iTunes is on 10.6.3, both say they are updated as far as possible. I have used this Mac to update my phone every time in the past. This is the first time it has given me trouble.
I'm afraid that your PowerBook has reached the end of the line. To restore your iPhone, you'll need a computer that can run the latest version of iTunes.

Ok, will I still need DFU mode with a new computer or will iTunes update me in normal mode?

Thanks to everyone for all thier help!

You can still get iOS 7.0.4 onto your device, but you won't be able to sync your device with your computer, so it's pretty much solely to upgrade your iOS. If your data can be completely backed up onto iCloud, and you're fine with manually reinstalling all your applications, you can manually restore to 7.0.4, then sync with iCloud to retrieve your data.

I don't mind starting over, I have everything stored in the cloud and I have iTunes sync. Just to make sure I have it right. I download the 7.0.4 first and then enter DFU mode, but how do I choose 7.0.4 for the restore? Last time it didn't give me an option.

Hold shift or command, then click the Restore button on iTunes

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa