What's new

How do I restore from backup?

zig9449 said:
You should have just left the phone alone after the choosing to restore from an iCloud backup.

Go to Settings> iCloud> Storage&Backup and wait til it does not say "restoring iPhone". if it still says that then it is still downloading files from the backup.

The restore process is not done as soon as the phone reboots. It's still slowly downloading everything that was in that backup. It can take a while. The more data you had the longer it will take

Also. You should not have disconnected it from iTunes. U should have just let it sync. iTunes knows it was restored from an iCloud backup. It would not have changed anything. I see your hate for iTunes is strong. So is mine.lol

Another thing. The iCloud backup can only continue when it's plugged in and connected to wifi.

Your app data and apps should continue downloading when you device is plugged in and connected to wifi.

I did leave it alone. The entire process finished. The phone reset, booted up, and needed to be set up because it was in its newborn state, as new. There was NEVER any option to restore from the cloud backup. That is what I wanted and have hoping and waiting for! How do I get the essential backup from cloud going?

HELP!!

Roger1122 said:
I did leave it alone. The entire process finished. The phone reset, booted up, and needed to be set up because it was in its newborn state, as new. There was NEVER any option to restore from the cloud backup. That is what I wanted and have hoping and waiting for! How do I get the essential backup from cloud going?

HELP!!

The option to restore from an iCloud backup shows when you setup the device....before it allows access to the home screen.

zig9449 said:
The option to restore from an iCloud backup shows when you setup the device....before it allows access to the home screen.

Believe me, I was LOOKING for that, HOPING for that, and would have jumped at it if it had been offered. No such option was given to me,

It's off to the Apple store for me.

Roger

Roger1122 said:
I mean RESTORE from cloud, of course.

Still the same answer. You have to "first" restore through iTunes, then choose to restore from an iCloud backup.

You cannot just restore from iCloud. Must be done through iTunes first. iTunes reinstalls the software, and iCloud restores the data and preferences.

zig9449 said:
Still the same answer. You have to "first" restore through iTunes, then choose to restore from an iCloud backup.

You cannot just restore from iCloud. Must be done through iTunes first. iTunes reinstalls the software, and iCloud restores the data and preferences.

At what stage is that option offered to me. I swear I saw no such thing. ITunes (damn its hairy hide) did its complete thing and never gave me a chance. Exactly when am I supposed to have seen this option?

zig9449 said:

I've just been through the whole business again. This time iTunes recognized that there was a backup and obligingly restored the data in that backup to my phone. But this was the backup taken automatically LAST NIGHT and contains none of the apps and data acquired over the last two years. If it had recognized the iCloud backup last night, when all my data and photographs (Aaarrrgghhh!) were still safe, I would not be so bitterly upset. Why didn't it?

Roger1122 said:
I've just been through the whole business again. This time iTunes recognized that there was a backup and obligingly restored the data in that backup to my phone. But this was the backup taken automatically LAST NIGHT and contains none of the apps and data acquired over the last two years. If it had recognized the iCloud backup last night, when all my data and photographs (Aaarrrgghhh!) were still safe, I would not be so bitterly upset. Why didn't it?

Probably because you used the most recent backup. Was there not more then one backup to choose from? Here was one backup file?

zig9449 said:
Probably because you used the most recent backup. Was there not more then one backup to choose from? Here was one backup file?

You will be surprised to learn that iTunes is not required when restoring from an iCloud backup. The Apple support woman talked me through it when I phoned to set up the Apple store appointment. I'll repeat that: at no time from start to finish of the entire backup and restore cycle was it necessary to plug into my PC or to boot up iTunes. This is in line with Apple claims that people would no longer have to plug their phones into a computer.

If you would like to learn how to do this, ask a question in the iPhone help forum (where it be more generally useful than here, tucked away at the end of a long exchange) and flag me in a private message, as I don't normally monitor it. I'll jump in and answer. There are a few "gotchas" to watch out for and I'll try to cover those. It is a fairly hairy process and not very intuitive.

I now have my iPhone with all its apps and data working just fine, plus all my photos. The crashing camera problem also hasn't reappeared yet, so the restore so far seems to have cured it.

You will be surprised to learn that iTunes is not required when restoring from an iCloud backup. The Apple support woman talked me through it when I phoned to set up the Apple store appointment. I'll repeat that: at no time from start to finish of the entire backup and restore cycle was it necessary to plug into my PC or to boot up iTunes. This is in line with Apple claims that people would no longer have to plug their phones into a computer.

If you would like to learn how to do this, ask a question in the iPhone help forum (where it be more generally useful than here, tucked away at the end of a long exchange) and flag me in a private message, as I don't normally monitor it. I'll jump in and answer. There are a few "gotchas" to watch out for and I'll try to cover those. It is a fairly hairy process and not very intuitive.

I now have my iPhone with all its apps and data working just fine, plus all my photos. The crashing camera problem also hasn't reappeared yet, so the restore so far seems to have cured it.
Hi Roger. Yes you're 100% right. I'm sorry I'm late to this thread. I can't believe how many people told you had to use iTunes for a restore of apps, data and settings, etc. iCloud does away with iTunes for that entire process. I could have walked you thru it. I am however interested in how you say you can do a full restore of the iOS itself too without a computer. Apple's help guides do not speak of that.. They say a computer and iTunes are required for that. So I'm a veteran Apple user for 25 years with every gadget and that's news to me.

So it would be very helpful to the forum of you could describe a full reset of even the iOS itself. I don't need to know to restore my apps from the cloud or my data and settings, etc. that's easy - if you know Apple products. But from a 'dead phone' showing you only the 'plug me into iTunes' diagram on the screen how do you access the cloud from that state without plugging it into iTunes?

Roger1122 said:

Yes. I know iCloud is used for restoring apps and settings, but used to completely reinstall the iOS? I had no idea such a thing was possible!!

How is this done. I have searched for this before and found nothing.

pianoman said:
Hi Roger. Yes you're 100% right. I'm sorry I'm late to this thread. I can't believe how many people told you had to use iTunes for a restore of apps, data and settings, etc. iCloud does away with iTunes for that entire process. I could have walked you thru it. I am however interested in how you say you can do a full restore of the iOS itself too without a computer. Apple's help guides do not speak of that.. They say a computer and iTunes are required for that. So I'm a veteran Apple user for 25 years with every gadget and that's news to me.

So it would be very helpful to the forum of you could describe a full reset of even the iOS itself. I don't need to know to restore my apps from the cloud or my data and settings, etc. that's easy - if you know Apple products. But from a 'dead phone' showing you only the 'plug me into iTunes' diagram on the screen how do you access the cloud from that state without plugging it into iTunes?

First, I'm sorry it took so long to reply. After all the frustration and grief I went through I just couldn't summon up the energy to put my experiences and thoughts into order. And when I did I realized I had made a major mistake that needed to be acknowledged and corrected.

Coming from a non-Apple background I confused the Apple backup with the PC backup with which I am familiar, and which includes the OS, programs and data--everything--and can be used to "restore" a complete working computer's software to new hardware, forming a clone,

When I used the iPhone function to "reset all data and apps" I noticed that it performed a check of the iOS version and I ASSUMED that if any update or reinstall had been needed it would have been done at that stage, relying on downloads from the cloud. Nothing actually needed to be done because I had already restored the OS the previous evening using the loathed and detested iTunes.

After I had reset all data and apps I was offered a list of dated backups from which I could restore them, and I selected one from a couple of days earlier, well before the latest trouble. After that, everything went well, and my phone, with all but one app, two photos, and two days of data, were safely restored.

End of story.

Roger1122

julianadams said:
Sync your iPhone to iTunes and then select the iPhone in the sidebar of iTunes. Right click the option and choose restore from backup option there. iTunes will show you a complete dialog box with all the backup files. Choose the most valid backup that you have and start restore with clicking the restore button.

This way you can easily restore from an iPhone backup....

Thank you, but I have as little to do with iTunes as possible. I hate the program. The coming of iCloud was most welcome to me because of the partial freedom that it gives from dependence on iTunes and I will never backup using iTunes. I will NEVER sync my iPhone to iTunes! If you are a happy user of iTunes you do not want to hear my horror stories of the grief that program has caused me.

Roger1122 said:
Thank you, but I have as little to do with iTunes as possible. I hate the program. The coming of iCloud was most welcome to me because of the partial freedom that it gives from dependence on iTunes and I will never backup using iTunes. I will NEVER sync my iPhone to iTunes! If you are a happy user of iTunes you do not want to hear my horror stories of the grief that program has caused me.

Lol. I hate iTunes as much as anyone.....but all ya hav to do is doable a couple things and it's literally nothing to worry about...I can plug in my phone and open iTunes, and nothing every toes wrong.

Ya just need to learn what settings to apply, and that's all there is to stop iTunes from causing any problems.

On a side note...I think it's total BS that ya have to apply certain settings in iTunes that should set by default......causing a lot of people to avoid it at all costs.

Like I said....one ya change a few settings....it's not an issue at all.