What's new

How do I play my iphone's music through my car stereo?

robredd72

Reaction score
Ok my question is how can I get the mp3's on my iphone to play through my car stereo? First off I have an older radio it's an alpine that has a single cd, and is capable of playing mp3, if they are recorded on a cd, I suppose. I used to have a gadget with my old ipod that played the ipod songs through a vacant radio station. This wasn't very reliable. I downloaded an iphone app that gives a vacant radio station to tune to for the iphone, but my stupid radio wont let you pinpoint the station, because it auto scans through the frequencies, and skips the suggested vacant stations, I need to pinpoint. So I am looking for a cheap option to beam my music through my car stereo. I am not opposed to a new deck as a last resort! But would likely want the cheapest to do the job. I dont really even play cds anymore I just want to be able to easily play my iphone library of alsmost 1400 songs! Any suggestion or links are appreciated.

Last edited:
Does your radio have a headphone jack? U could use an audio cable if so. If not does it have a usb in the front or back of the stereo? Depending on how old it is it might not have one. Those two are your only options besides the whole fm transmitter deal.

if you go to frys they have a cord for about 90 bucks you have to give up your CD player though, and you hook it up to your ipod its only for certain cars though, its a direct connection so you get no static

To get the radio to pinpoint the station you have to turn off the auto search feature and then you can manually step up each station weather it comes in or not. I have never seen a radio where the auto search can't be turned off. If the app you downloaded will work on a certain open station then that's all you need to do.

Check out parrot.com I have the full blown system installed hands free 9200 however they have less expensive solutions that may suit you. The 9200 uses a separate amp and a small LCD so one can see the playlists and covers. It supports direct connect, USB, sd card and Bluetooth plus voice activated hands free the approximate $450 dollar cost inc install may scare you off however.

Last edited:
there should be a button on your radio which says rds,press this to turn rds off which will allow you to search for a frequency freely

If you have a cassette player, you can purchase an adapter that plugs into your headset jack. I have RCA inputs in my car and found an adapter that hooks up perfectly.

MacBook Pro 15"; Apple TV; AEBS-2TB; iPhone 4G

ohiostatefn said:
If you have a cassette player, you can purchase an adapter that plugs into your headset jack. I have RCA inputs in my car and found an adapter that hooks up perfectly.

MacBook Pro 15"; Apple TV; AEBS-2TB; iPhone 4G

I have an cassette adapter that I hooked up today for the first time playing my IPOD 4th generation. The sound to me was good.

Last edited:
How does the cassette adapter work to play music from the music device through the vehicle speakers? I know how this is hooked up but, I am curious technically how the device is able to play music like it does.

Sent from my iPad First Generation WIFI/3G