What's new

How do I get photos off my phone?

Sutek

Reaction score
I've got a ton of pics on my iPhone 4S and I want to get them all off. I could install a cloud service, but it'd take forever to upload them all. I tried connecting it to my Win7 laptop, and heard the chime indicating it detected a USB connection, but nothing happened after that. I dunno, my USB cable might be flaky.
If I could use the Wi-Fi to upload them to something on the LAN, like my Raspberry Pi or a desktop computer, that'd be great.

I email them to myself, pathetic they don't have a simple way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seem to remember using Windows Photo Viewer to transfer images to my Vista PC. Don't select the option to delete after transfer. It creates havoc with your phone.

For the past few days l have been using Google Photos,
but in the App Store are many more.

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

Unfortunately, e-mailing will use the Internet and I'm trying to transfer to something on my LAN. I've also tried doing a USB connection to a computer, but my computer doesn't even properly acknowledge the device. I don't know if the connector is flaky or I'm doing something wrong.
I did manage to find FileExplorer which is able to make an SMB connection to my Raspberry Pi, but I haven't been able to find a way to transfer files en masse to it. The solution is ever ebbing.

n/m. I finally figured out how to get FileExplorer to browse for photos and upload them through SMB

Last edited:
did you look at Google Photos?

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

Windows has a built in program called Windows Photo Viewer. At least it did up to Vista and probably 7. 8 and 10 I have no clue about since I avoid computers with these operating systems like the plague.

Plugging the iPhone into the computer via USB SHOULD bring up the program. If not, it can be found in "All Programs". I believe the transfer is initiated from the File menu. There is an option to delete the images from the phone automatically after transfer. Not a good idea to use it.

I don't use Dropbox so I can't answer that.

You may have to install iTunes on your computer. That will install the necessary drivers/software to view and download your photos.

I've got a ton of pics on my iPhone 4S and I want to get them all off. I could install a cloud service, but it'd take forever to upload them all. I tried connecting it to my Win7 laptop, and heard the chime indicating it detected a USB connection, but nothing happened after that. I dunno, my USB cable might be flaky.
If I could use the Wi-Fi to upload them to something on the LAN, like my Raspberry Pi or a desktop computer, that'd be great.

You may have to install iTunes on your computer. That will install the necessary drivers/software to view and download your photos.

Good point. It's so automatic to me to install iTunes on any computer, I sometimes forget about it.