What's new

How do I get my mp3 s from my iphone to my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigman7

Reaction score
I can play my mp3 s from my computer when my phone is plugged in but cannot copy them to the computer. You would think this would be something simple.

Mp3s? If you have songs on your iPhone you can sync them, on the computer, to iTunes and then play them on your computer by using iTunes.

Mp3s? If you have songs on your iPhone you can sync them, on the computer, to iTunes and then play them on your computer by using iTunes.
How can I copy them to my computer? I do not wish to play them on the computer while hooked up to my phone. I can already do that.

Sync with Itunes. Your music will be in Itunes drag and drop into another folder done.

Open iTunes on your computer. Plug your phone into the computer. Click on the sync button on iTunes (lower right). After syncing unplug your iPhone. You can now play your songs from the computer in I tunes or by dragging the songs from their to a new computer folder.

Open iTunes on your computer. Plug your phone into the computer. Click on the sync button on iTunes (lower right). After syncing unplug your iPhone. You can now play your songs from the computer in I tunes or by dragging the songs from their to a new computer folder.
Nope. It will not even play. How is it supposed to copy?

Last edited:
Anything on your iPhone can be synced to iTunes. You may need to check the boxes telling iTunes what you want to sync but that's how the whole iOS system works. Check your iTunes setting on you PC if the music isn't syncing. The only exception might be music not acquired with copy permission.

Anything on your iPhone can be synced to iTunes. You may need to check the boxes telling iTunes what you want to sync but that's how the whole iOS system works. Check your iTunes setting on you PC if the music isn't syncing. The only exception might be music not acquired with copy permission.
It will sync. I have no problem with that. I have permission because I put them on there to start with. I shouldn't have to have permission to move something from my phone that I moved to the phone.

Within iTunes are settings that you instruct iTunes what to sync. It is merely checking boxes. I do not know what you mean by permissions. Unless by permissions you are referring to the copywriter protections that Apple as well as other sources require. This goes back to the old Napster copywriter protections lawsuits.
That's the DRM (digital rights management) protection which prevent other players playing their content.

Apple has "fair play" DRM system, the iTunes music with .m4p extension, audio book with .m4b extension, and video/movie with .m4v extesion are all DRM wrapped.

Napster and other online stores like Rhapsody, Amazon Unbox, Blockbuster, CinemaNow etc use Windows Media "plays for sure" DRM system, music or movie downloaded there are protected wma or wmv.

Zune Marketplace from Microsoft also provides protected wma and wmv by employing another unique DRM system.

Now you might know why the music you got from iTunes Napster couldn;t play on your Phillips MP3 player

Generally, DRM removal software can help you with it, as they can strip the DRM protection (playback license in fact), convert music or video to various formats that can play on various players.

I know There are professional DRM converters

I have been able to burn music legally acquired which is easily added to iTunes .for example, if I get a free song from Starbucks, when I back my iPhone to iTunes it gets added to iTunes.

Last edited:
and if all else fails, iTunes Match is available.

Let me start from the beginning. I have an audio cd that I ripped and put the mp3s on my iphone. I did this from work but am not currently at that job so I do not have access to that computer with the mp3s. I now have a new phone. When I plug my old iphone into my home computer, itunes software pops up. I can listen to the mp3s that are on my iphone but cannot copy them. There is no check boxes. I cannot drag and drop them. I cannot right click or ctrl c and paste them. All I want to do is get these mp3s from my old phone to my new phone. I do not know why apple makes things so difficult. You would think it would be as simple as copying them from one device to the other.

Oh, and I do not know what itunes match is. I guess apple has to make something different to do something that their software that doesn't do what it should be able to do.

Turn on your PC. Open iTunes. Plug the old iPhone ( that has the music you want) into the computer sync it to get the music into iTunes. Unplug the old iPhone. Then do this:
Move content from iTunes on your computer to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

And re-reading your last, it sounds like all you need to do is click on the red print above and follow Apple's instructions.
I'm trying to get the mp3s from my phone to my computer. Not the other way around.

I understand that and that covers the first part of my post. The second part is only for subsequently adding your music to your current iPhone in addition. I am afraid I can not explain this any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.