What's new

How do I find which network my iPhone is locked to?

Llylos

Reaction score
I have two iPhones within the UK region, I'm unable to find which network they are locked to in order to have them unlocked, can anyone help with info on how to find the network operators?

A quick way... if the information is still there... go into Settings>General>About. It should list the carrier name there.

A quick way... if the information is still there... go into Settings>General>About. It should list the carrier name there.

I think that only tells you the current carrier no? Or it might be different if you eject the SIM out.

I think that only tells you the current carrier no? Or it might be different if you eject the SIM out.
Good point... didn't think about that. It'll still tell, IIRC, you once you eject the SIM. However, if the phone has been restored and not reactivated then it won't show the current carrier in "About."

Good point... didn't think about that. It'll still tell, IIRC, you once you eject the SIM. However, if the phone has been restored and not reactivated then it won't show the current carrier in "About."

Would IMEI checkers be able to figure that out? I know that Identify on RedSn0w and iTools don't really help with that matter.

Would IMEI checkers be able to figure that out? I know that Identify on RedSn0w and iTools don't really help with that matter.
Not sure if an IMEI checker will or not. The only problem w/ those is... they fall in that "gray area" of discussion around here. :-/

I have tried Settings>General>About which shows Network "Not Available" and Carrier "Not Available". I also tried iTools which only shows the region which is UK and not the carrier.

I have tried Settings>General>About which shows Network "Not Available" and Carrier "Not Available". I also tried iTools which only shows the region which is UK and not the carrier.
That's what willerz and I were discussing above. I would assume you could call Apple customer service w/ your iPhone's serial & IMEI #'s to track down where it belongs to.

Try this, download RedSn0w 0.9.15 beta here for Windows and here for OSX

Then plug your device in and run RedSn0w. Go to Extras > Even More > Identify, and identify your device. Look for your "CarrierBundleInfo: CFBundleName = X" X will represent your carrier.

Not sure if an IMEI checker will or not. The only problem w/ those is... they fall in that "gray area" of discussion around here. :-/
Why would that be, Thomas? The gray area thing?

Why would that be, Thomas? The gray area thing?

I guess it could be used by sellers to see whether the phone is activated or not, then report it stolen to screw the buyer over. Or an invasion of privacy maybe?