What's new

How do I do the following?

SomeDude

Reaction score
Greetings All,

I updated the software on my 3Gs today and am now running iOS5. As usual I now have a few icons that I have absolutely NO use for like newsstand (Who cares really). The truly annoying thing is that it will not allow me to move the icon into one of those squares that you can put several in.
Is there a way using cydia, or one of the applications therein, to get rid of apps that you don't use? Also, I have cydia from my last OS (4.3.5) will this work on the software upgrade?

Thanks

I can't comment on this issue myself since I am still on 4.2.8, but if what eddieg says is true, you might want to look into a cydia application called "FoldersinFolders" however, I am not sure if it is compatible with iOS5 or not.

You cant put the news stand in a folder cuz it is a folder.

Yes it is a folder, but it's also a native app, and with precise timing, you can MAKE it go into a folder.

You can hide Newsstand and it works exactly like those hundreds of posts and tips and videos say it does if u have searched on YouTube.

Basically, there's a tiny bug in iOS 5 that allows you to stick Newsstand into a folder if you catch it just as you're making another folder. It's a little tricky and takes about 5-10 tries on average to get it right. Hopefully apple doesn't spot it if you don't use news stand, and fix the bug so you will be forced to see it. I think that'd be a waste of space.

Anyway....

Line up three apps: app 1, Newsstand, app 2.

Drag app 1 onto app 2 to create a new folder and then as soon as iOS is getting ready to folder 'em, drag Newsstand into the same group.

About 80% of the time, this fails. You get a folder with both apps and Newsstand left out in the cold. When you do, just drag both items back out and start again. Kinda like wash, rise, repeat. LOL

But about 20% of the time, Newsstand goes into the folder, and it is for all purposes hidden. So yay!

Be aware that the Newsstand item will not be seen in the group icons here:

a6cd0e82-1766-df92.jpg

so if you ever intend to use it, you may have to hunt around in folders to find it. But if you don't then who cares?? LOL

Hope this helped!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.462232,-111.990732
Sent from my  iPhone 4 via Tapatalk

Last edited:
I thank you my good man! Will the older version of Cydia I have on the phone still work, or will I have to hunt around for another one?

I got it on the first try....Way cool tip, Thanks.

Happy to help. :)

Also, I suspect that If u want it hidden, u won't be using it, right? as when I tried to open it within the folder, it just rebooted my iPhone. Dunno if this is just me, but i thought I'd just give a heads up. ;-)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.462171,-111.990778
Sent from my  iPhone 4 via Tapatalk

Has anyone tried this lately? I can't seem to make it work. The empty newsstand folder is bothersome and I would like it gone. Any suggestions???

I did it! I got too frustrated the first few times I tried so I took a break. It worked in the 3rd try. Very cool! Ty for the info!

Yes, it is not easy because is all about timing but it is possible.