What's new

How can I update Iphone 4s from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 avoiding ios6

Becast

Reaction score
Hi cuties,
So i have a Sprint Iphone 4s and its current ios is 5.0.1,. I want to update to 5.1.1 and jailbreak it so i can use Gevey CDMA.
The only reason i want to jailbreak iphone is because i want to unlock my iphone.

1. how can update from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 and avoid ios 6?
2. Also if i update to 5.1.1 is there a chance that the base bands will be higher than 1.0.11, 1.0.13, 1.0.14, 2.0.10, 2.0.12?
3. just asking, can i still buy stuff in itunes after i jailbreak iphone?

is there a way to this.

Thank You

Last edited:
Unfortunately... the only iOS version that Apple is signing right now is iOS 6.0. With that, there's no way, currently, for you to update to iOS 5.1.1. However, I'm pretty certain that the Gevey Ultra S supports iOS 5.0.1. Is there a particular reason why you want to be on 5.1.1 instead of 5.0.1?

And yes... after Jailbreaking... you're iPhone still funtions the same as it always has w/ iTunes. The only trick is... DO NOT update your iOS version. You will lose your Jailbreak.

the only reason is because of fixes.

Will I still be able to buy from itunes after jailbreak?

the only reason is because of fixes. Will I still be able to buy from itunes after jailbreak?
Honestly... I wouldn't be too concerned w/ the 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 jump. And yes, you'll still be able to make purchases from iTunes after the JB.

Thank You very much Thomas.

incase i could update to 5.1.1 is there a chance i will have a higher baseband than 1.0.11, 1.0.13, 1.0.14, 2.0.10, 2.0.12?

incase i could update to 5.1.1 is there a chance i will have a higher baseband than 1.0.11, 1.0.13, 1.0.14, 2.0.10, 2.0.12?
Just so there isn't any confustion w/ what I'm going to say next.... there isn't a way to downgrade or update your iOS version on an iPhone 4S to any iOS version other that iOS 6.0. With that said.... let's say the Devs work out an exploit on the iPhone 4S that does allow users to freely update/downgrade their iOS version on the 4S. Doing so requres using a custom IPSW for the iOS version you wish to go to & preserves the current Baseband you're using. So, since you're on 5.0.1... that means you're on the 1.0.13 or 1.0.14 Basebands. IF there was a possible way to update to 5.1.1, which there isn't, it would be done by using a custom IPSW w/ Baseband preservation... and you'd still be on the 1.0.13 or 1.0.14 BB (which ever you're currently on.)

Becast said:
Ok i got you that i cant upgrade to the official ios 5.1.1

Lets say, If I want to (jailbreak to 5.1.1) from official 5.0.1 do i need to upgrade to official 5.1.1 first or can i jailbreak directly from official 5.0.1 to (absynthe 5.1.1 jailbreak)?

You can only
A) jailbreak and unlock 5.0.1
B) restore to ios 6 and wait for a jb

Just so there isn't any confustion w/ what I'm going to say next.... there isn't a way to downgrade or update your iOS version on an iPhone 4S to any iOS version other that iOS 6.0. With that said.... let's say the Devs work out an exploit on the iPhone 4S that does allow users to freely update/downgrade their iOS version on the 4S. Doing so requres using a custom IPSW for the iOS version you wish to go to & preserves the current Baseband you're using. So, since you're on 5.0.1... that means you're on the 1.0.13 or 1.0.14 Basebands. IF there was a possible way to update to 5.1.1, which there isn't, it would be done by using a custom IPSW w/ Baseband preservation... and you'd still be on the 1.0.13 or 1.0.14 BB (which ever you're currently on.)

Ok i got you that i cant upgrade to the official ios 5.1.1

Lets say, If I want to (jailbreak to 5.1.1) from official 5.0.1 do i need to upgrade to official 5.1.1 first or can i jailbreak directly from official 5.0.1 to (absynthe 5.1.1 jailbreak)?

You can only
A) jailbreak and unlock 5.0.1
B) restore to ios 6 and wait for a jb

ok, but just saying. if i want to jailbreak to 5.1.1 absynthe from official 5.0.1.
1.Do i have to update my iphone first to official 5.1.1 to be able to jailbreak to 5.1.1??
or
2. can i update directly from official 5.0.1 to absinthe 5.1.1?

yes i know.

so can i jailbreak my iphone 4s from official 5.0.1 to absynthe 5.1.1 jailbreak?