What's new

How can I get my daughters songs to her Apple ID from mine?

pianoman

Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure where to put this particular thread. So please move it where you'd wish it to be.

A couple of years ago before I fully understood the power of Apple IDs and iTunes I would have my daughter simply add her iTunes gift card redeem points for songs (at Christmas time/whenever) to my Apple ID. And then download her songs to her iDevice. Now that she has her own iPhone 4 and has a much larger library and created her own Apple ID for backup purposes to iTunes, etc., there're still scores of her songs in my library and associated with my Apple ID that I would like to get associated with her Apple ID and off my iCloud/iTunes Match forever.

Does anybody know an easy way to do this? Do I have to go through Apple and give them a list of things that need to be taken off my ID and associated with hers?

I know there are utilities out there that bypass the normal functionality of iTunes and allow you to manually move songs to devices you wish them to be on. But my concern is that when she then double clicks on that song in iTunes on her computer or iDevices she'll be asked to put in my Apple ID login. Won't she?

What I'm asking to be able to do is to permanently reassociate about 100 songs with her Apple ID and never again be associated with my Apple ID. Is this possible?

Last edited:
Well I can tell you how to get the songs from your Apple ID onto her iPhone........but to have 100 songs completely transferred to a different acount.....................That seems tricky............I would make a list of the songs that you want off your account, contact Apple, and tell them that your dughter bught a buch off songs with your Apple ID, and that you would like to have them transferred to her account. They just might do it. i say you got a 50/50 chance of them allowing you to do so.lol

As for removing the songs from your "purchased" tab............Well you cannot remove them from your account. They are basically perminent, but you can hide them, and they wont ever be seen unless you log into your account settings in iTunes and unhide them. I wouldn't recommend you do that until you hopefully get those songs transferred to her account tho. usually the only way to do that would be for her to actually by the music again, but from her account.

Tho if Apple refuses to transfer the music from your account to her account, you can always just transfer the songs from the iPhone to computer, and then drop them into her iTunes libary, so she can always sync them to her phone, and they will always be there.

There are a few different ways to go about transferring songs between 2 iPhone/iTunes............Tho without the help of Apple, the music will not really be on her account,.............It will just be saved and backed up in her iTunes.

You guys do not use the same iTunes do you?

Last edited:
Well I can tell you how to get the songs from your Apple ID onto her iPhone........but to have 100 songs completely transferred to a different acount.....................That seems tricky............I would make a list of the songs that you want off your account, contact Apple, and tell them that your dughter bught a buch off songs with your Apple ID, and that you would like to have them transferred to her account. They just might do it. i say you got a 50/50 chance of them allowing you to do so.lol

As for removing the songs from your "purchased" tab............Well you cannot remove them from your account. They are basically perminent, but you can hide them, and they wont ever be seen unless you log into your account settings in iTunes and unhide them. I wouldn't recommend you do that until you hopefully get those songs transferred to her account tho. usually the only way to do that would be for her to actually by the music again, but from her account.

Tho if Apple refuses to transfer the music from your account to her account, you can always just transfer the songs from the iPhone to computer, and then drop them into her iTunes libary, so she can always sync them to her phone, and they will always be there.

There are a few different ways to go about transferring songs between 2 iPhone/iTunes............Tho without the help of Apple, the music will not really be on her account,.............It will just be saved and backed up in her iTunes.

You guys do not use the same iTunes do you?
No we don't. She logs onto a different USER account on my mac. Two different libraries
Thanks for your input. The only part of your input that isn't quite considering the whole picture is that, though I know with certain utilities I can get her songs to her iTunes library - each time she cliks on that song it will ask her authorize that computer for use of that song - and that will use up one of my five computers. That's not that big a deal. But I did NOT know about the 'hide songs' aspect of Purchased songs. Where do I find that screen?

Thanks!

Well I am completely aware of the comuter authorization..........But as you said it is not a big deal for most people.

As for hiding songs, well there are 2 ways, and I think you have to do both to completely hide the songs.

In iTunes, right click on the songs, clikc "Delete", then you are prompted to choose whther ot not to keep the song on file ro move it to the trash bin. This does not really hide the songs from your account tho, it just berids them from the iTunes library.

There may be a real way to actually hide the songs, but I have no idea how to do so in itunes, and for that I am sorry.

I do know that you can hide them from showing up as a puchased item from your device tho.

On your device, Open iTunes.app

Tap on "Purchased" in the lower right corner

Sign in if required

Tap "Music"

The locate the songs you would like to hide

Swipe in them like the "swipe to delete" gesture

Except instead of a "Delete" button showing, a "Hide" button shows instead.

Then those songs are hiden. The first time you do this, a prompt pops up telling you how to unhide them if you wish to do so.

Thanks, Zig. The problem is I only use iTunes Match these days. So you can't get rid of them from iTunes on your computer "at all". Using the delete command from there would delete it from iTunes Match -- well --- now -- maybe that IS what I want to do - AFTER I transfer the songs to her iTunes library.. Hmmm. Let me think about this. The songs would be deleted forever from Library if I delete them from iTunes Match - I think. And when I transfer the songs to her library using one of those tools online - I wonder if the songs would then upload to HER iTunes Match as well under her ID.. Have to do some experimenting to see if it works.

Good to know how to use the HIDE function. I wonder if it also works for iTunes Match. There is only one place my original iTunes library exists - on my computer under MY personal login. On all my iDevices - I only use iTunes Match. Very easy way to keep everything current and also be able to buy a smaller storage space iDevice (like 16GB only) and not ever run out of space.

Aah, sorry Pianoman. I know nothing of itunes Match, as I'm not going to give Apple any more money then I have to;p

I dont know how iTunes Match works, but perhaps I'll read about. Any to use it for free?\

Got this from the Apple web site Copy]
What if I add new music to my library? Do I need to tell iTunes Match to scan it?No. iTunes Match will automatically rescan for content, so you don’t have to. Although you can force a refresh by choosing Store > Update iTunes Match in iTunes.[paste

So I imagine that you first transfer your duaghters music to a folder your computer. Phew.....Her music is safe now;p

THEN..........Delete them from your iTunes Library. Then, on your device, hide the songs from showing on your account via the iTunes.app.

Then use your iPhone as a USB drive to store the folder that has 100 of your daughters songs in it. Luckily, whatever tool you used to transfer the music to the folder.....is also a tool that you can use to store pretty much anything you want in your phone like a USB drive. ( I am assuming you would use iSpirit or i-FunBox)

Then download the tool on your daughters computer, transfer the folder to her desktop.

Then open iTunes, shrink down the window, and drag the music in the music folder to her iTunes library, where they will "supposedly" automatically be uploaded to iTunes match, once it recognizes new songs in the library.

Idk Pianoman, what'ya think?

Last edited:
I'll give it a try, Zig. Thanks!

It used to be you could burn these songs to a disc (I used cd-rw's so I could reuse it) using a format that could be played in a regular cd player. Then reinsert the disc and iTunes would import the songs drm free. Haven't tried that in a few years but might still work and you would only be out a cdr if not.

So burn from your iTunes and import into hers. It was a great way to remove the drm.

kruseanderson said:
It used to be you could burn these songs to a disc (I used cd-rw's so I could reuse it) using a format that could be played in a regular cd player. Then reinsert the disc and iTunes would import the songs drm free. Haven't tried that in a few years but might still work and you would only be out a cdr if not.

So burn from your iTunes and import into hers. It was a great way to remove the drm.

Apple started using DRM-Free music a course years ago.

Didn't know that zig, thanks. So he should be able to just goto file> import file in his daughters account, navigate to his iTunes media files and move the music that way. If they are on he same computer.

Does apple still do the "protected" media when you buy it from iTunes? My method got rid of that. Then you didn't have to authorize another computer to play it since iTunes thought it was a store bought cd.

kruseanderson said:
Didn't know that zig, thanks. So he should be able to just goto file> import file in his daughters account, navigate to his iTunes media files and move the music that way. If they are on he same computer.

Does apple still do the "protected" media when you buy it from iTunes? My method got rid of that. Then you didn't have to authorize another computer to play it since iTunes thought it was a store bought cd.

Well, it depends. If the 2 devices have always used the same iTunes "not computer" or not. Sometimes will still ask for authorization but not because of the music, but simply because the ECID us different.

kruseanderson said:

Oh, and the whole "protection" part of downloading music is more about the protection of your account.......hence why drm-free music is used nowcv

If nothing has worked for you yet (I know you posted a few day ago) try SharePod. ​(Notice to any moderators: if this software is deemed inappropriate per forum rules please delete this and accept my apologies) It will do exactly what you are wanting to do.

I just discovered a really great way to transfer music from iPhone to PC and it's free.

It's called iTools. I just used it yesterday when restoring my iPod 4G.

If nothing has worked for you yet (I know you posted a few day ago) try SharePod. ​(Notice to any moderators: if this software is deemed inappropriate per forum rules please delete this and accept my apologies) It will do exactly what you are wanting to do.
Thank you! I will try it!