What's new

HomePod Firmware Reveals iPhone 8 Will Have Infrared Facial Detection and No Touch ID

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone 8 to have no Touch ID and infrared facial recogniton instead.JPG

The HomePod firmware continues to reveal more juicy details about the forthcoming iPhone 8, with MacRumors reporting today on yet more secrets uncovered in the code by developer Steven Troughton-Smith.

Most importantly, Troughton-Smith has seen no information whatsoever that might point to the iPhone 8 having a Touch ID fingerprint sensor embedded in the display, and he doesn’t think it will be included in the phone, stating, “not this year.”

However, thankfully, it doesn’t look like the dreaded rear Touch ID sensor will be the solution, rather, as Troughton-Smith pointed out in his examination of the code yesterday, there are many mentions of a facial recognition and infrared face detection system in the HomePod firmware.

Troughton-Smith also revealed details about the new status bar, which may see the information such as on connection strength, battery, Bluetooth and the time shown on either side of the sensor/camera section. Troughton-Smith concluded that the status bar “seems a lot more complex and powerful in design,” and may even be interactive.

Image: Slashleaks

Source: HomePod Firmware Suggests iPhone 8 Split Status Bar, Tap to Wake and No Touch ID Under Display

Facial recognition - NO! How do you control when your phone unlocks? How can you unlock the phone in your car vent or on the window as a GPS?

I unlock mine all the time without bringing it up to my face or even picking it up, I'm not willing to give up this useful feature. Sadly it looks like no 8 for me now

Actually l quite liked the idea of rear Touch ID you could turn your iPhone on whilst holding it in one hand.
Face recognition have to wait and see, sometimes l go for a week without shaving, would it handle that, l wonder.

Still these are only rumours