What's new

Highlight and copy text from email attachments

Boom

Reaction score
I have tried this a few different ways to no avail. I have tried three different office apps and none will do this that I have found. Can this be done?
For example: I have a PDF attachment in an email. I wish to open it and highlight and copy text from it to paste elsewhere.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried this a few different ways to no avail. I have tried three different office apps and none will do this that I have found. Can this be done?
For example: I have a PDF attachment in an email. I wish to open it and highlight and copy text from it to paste elsewhere.

Any ideas?

In the Mail app, press and hold the PDF attachment. You will get a pop-up window, offering you options. One of the options is "Quick View." Select that and the PDF will open.

With Quick View/the PDF open, press and hold the area you wish to copy. You'll get the standard blue bar with drag gable dots so you can select the area. Once you've made your selection, you should get a selection in another pop-up to copy. So, make the copy and then you can paste it wherever you wish.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

I'll try this. I never use the stock mail app. I've always used dedicated mail apps like gmail.

Thanks

Just tried it. I get the same thing as in other mail apps. I do not get the blue bar with draggable dots. The whole page turns blue with a blue dot on each side of the page with copy/define as only option. :(

This is what I get anywhere but web pages.
abe4ynad.jpg

What happens if you try to pull the dots in - make the copy area smaller? I ask because, as you can tell from my picture, the procedure I described works for me:

etujeqer.jpg

So, I'm very, very confused as to why it's not working for you. And, I can't understand it. Maybe it's the PDF you are trying to use? I dunno, just wondering out loud...

Marilyn

What happens if you try to pull the dots in - make the copy area smaller? I ask because, as you can tell from my picture, the procedure I described works for me:

etujeqer.jpg

So, I'm very, very confused as to why it's not working for you. And, I can't understand it. Maybe it's the PDF you are trying to use? I dunno, just wondering out loud...

Marilyn
I cannot pull them in at all. I tried this with .doc files and it works fine, but not at all with .pdf files. Not sure why yet. I also noticed i cannot highlight specific text in an sms message, to copy and paste elsewhere. I can copy the whole message, but not select text.