What's new

Here's How To Get An Apple Watch Edition For $2,000

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score
Screen-Shot-2015-03-31-at-11.36.46.png
When Apple finally announced the prices for the different Apple Watch models, most people were shocked to see the $10,000 and up price of the gold Edition variant. Previous reports have claimed that the gold material used in the Edition model would be valued at around $1000, so why should we have to pay such a huge markup?

Ivan Panchenko was one of the many folks disappointed about the price, so he decided to do something about it. Panchenko has launched an Indiegogo campaign to make a gold Apple Watch more affordable at $2,000. The Ukrainian is looking for a goal of $50,000 for materials, several Apple Watch models and other things to get started.

Panchenko plans to recreate the gold housing of the Apple Watch Edition using a custom made mold to fit. He notes that all of the components and technology in the different models are the same, it's only the housing which makes it different. Since none of the components need to be changed inside, creating a duplicate Apple Watch housing out of gold shouldn't be too difficult.

The housing won't be officially from Apple, however the functions of the watch will remain the same. Currently there are three different tiers to buy in. $1 is simply a donation, $100 will enter you into a contest where 5 will win a gold Apple Watch, and $2,000 guarantees you a gold Apple Watch.

Personally (and I think a lot of people will agree), burning $10,000 on a first generation technology product is a step in the wrong direction. While $2,000 does excite my taste buds a bit more, it's still a bit too much.

I couldn't agree more with you. $2000 is too much. Also, it is a bit weird to walk around in the streets, with a 2K watch ... if I ever decide to buy it, I could go for the Sport edition, which is not also good looking, but also affordable (around $400)!

Also, about the Gold version (with the housing of that guy), it will not feel the same. If you are going to pay for a gold edition watch, then I would pay for the full price!