What's new

Here we go again

nofear18

Reaction score
Ok, sorry if this is in the wrong discussion, but I really need some advice. I have a 4S iphone on Sprint ( yeah I know). Heres the deal, I have a total of 5 lines on the account. 3 are up for renewal in the next few months. I have been with Sprint for about 8 -9 years. Never really noticed slow data, until the last8-9 months. My family uses data " sparingly" ( wife check emails etc. ) Now my son wants an iphone. Long story short, I've done sone speed tests on different sites and here are the #'s
Speedtest.net 11/27/11 9:55 p.m. 54kbps down 145 kbps up 793 ping
11/9/11 6:54 p.m. 83 kbps down 278 up 708 ping
11/9/11 6:53 p.m. 37 down 288 up 626 ping
10/30/11 11:45 a.m. 142 down 395 up 403 ping
Extreme labs 11/27/11 21.53 59 kbps down 161 up
10/22 18.36 85 down 97 up

Are these good? From what I've read, probably not. I've stayed with Sprint just cuz, ( well price for me is about 240- month 5 smart phones) Same on Ver would be 299 and Att 275. Any advise?

Sprint doesn't have the fastest network but it works and I would suggest sticking with them due to the whole unlimited deal.

إيكرانك...المسطرة

I agree with the whole " unlimited deal". I guess what I'm saying is, with those speeds ( please advise me as to what should be "normal") ( I know normal varies by location, time of day ect ect.) and the fact that I'm at a renewal point for 3 phone lines, should I do it? FYI NONE of my lines does more than 1gb data ( although texting is another story (( 1 child did 11,300 texts last month)).

Basically, if I went to ATT would I SEE a difference in data speeds and still keep call quality?

Those look VERY slow to me. How good was the signal when you did the tests? Download the speedtest.net app and post up the screenshots.

Here in the UK I'm getting 3.2 Mb/s Down and 60-80kb/s up with a ping generally under 200ms on a full signal...

nofear18 said:
Basically, if I went to ATT would I SEE a difference in data speeds and still keep call quality?

The numbers don't look good honestly but it's better than going with AT&T. Iphone users clock in a lot of data usage and I wouldn't want to see you're family get sucked into that tier program. As gaz said post screens

إيكرانك...المسطرة

Sorry, how do you post screen pics? I have the pics on my camera roll, just need to know how to post

Upload them to somewhere like photobucket then copy + paste the

Normal speed for sprint but HORRIBLE speeds for 3g. Every carrier out there destroys sprints speeds. Att will give speeds in the 3meg range so almost 100 times faster than that 37kbps test. However you lose unlimited data. Ive been pondering leaving sprint or not because of this but cant decide if i should pull the trigger or not.

Ok here it is

securedownload.png

Those are terrible speeds for 3G. I can't vouch for AT&T speeds but as I said here in the UK i can get over 3mbps on a full signal. What kind of signal did you have when you took the tests?

Of course the unlimited plan my be worthwhile keeping for now incase sprint updates their network now they have the iPhone...

I'm in Indianapolis and am on AT&T, and these are my speeds. It's kind of funny to notice the different speeds I get when I'm in the same place. I took these just about one right after another.

$image-2168642247.jpg

Attachments

• $image-1233004283.jpg
    $image-1233004283.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 669
Last edited:
I wish I got those speeds. I have NEVER seen those numbers on 3g. I have to pretty much keep the wifi on all the time. So, now what? Do I live with it and " hope" or "wait" for Sprint to upgrade their system?

I wish I got those speeds. I have NEVER seen those numbers on 3g. I have to pretty much keep the wifi on all the time. So, now what? Do I live with it and " hope" or "wait" for Sprint to upgrade their system?

It depends on how much data you will be using. If its not all that much then you could probably do without the unlimited plan and go for the much faster 3G speeds of the other networks, but, you may find that if you do switch you will be using more data due to the increased speed. Also if you do switch and sprint upgrades the network you will be kicking yourself.

I guess the main question you've got to ask yourself is will it be worth the extra money for the increased speeds...?

Ok 5 lines on account and here is how data broke down:
1) 3g 588493 3g roaming 10514
2) 3g 426255
3) 3g 565398 3g roam 3667
4) 601310
5) 255085
So none of the lines gets near 2 gb. I use wifi when at work and home