What's new

Help unlocking my 4 year old iPhone 4...

Negleh

Reaction score
Hey all, I have an old iPhone 4 which it's contract has been paid for years ago and I'm ready to part with it. However, where it says carrier, it is blank, but when I check some IMEI sites, it shows the company I was with (Softbank.) Is there any way to remove the lock? I'm not in Japan anymore and it would be hard to contact them without paying a lot to call. Also, I'm on 6.1.2, not sure the baseband at the moment but if that's necessary, I will provide it. Thanks.

Outside of contacting Softbank no. Softbank will do it for free after a 2 year contract, but if you cannot contact Softbank, there are no other options. There are 3rd party options, but they require that you have an active Softbank account on the device to do so. And if I remember correctly, Softbank is CDMA, so your iPhone 4 lacks a SIM tray so you can use the interposer method (i.e. R-SIM or X-SIM)

Thanks for your reply, but it does have a sim tray and it had a sim card in it which I removed.

If that's the case, then you can invest in an interposer such as the R-SIM, X-SIM or Gevey (all pretty much the same thing just different Chinese branding). Because you're on the iPhone 4, you'll have to dig really deep to find one that supports the iPhone 4 as most interposers that you can buy now are limited to 4S and above if not 5 and above. It runs anywhere from $5-20 US depending on where you get it from. Of the sources that I've purchased from, none have an interposer for the iPhone 4 that's above iOS 5.1.1 unfortunately.

If it is CDMA based, unlocking will only let you use it on the same carrier but in other countries. If it is GS< based, then it can be used on other carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it has a SIM card tray, it can't be a CDMA iPhone 4. The CDMA version of the iPhone 4 does not have a SIM card tray, nor can it use a SIM card. What you have is more likely to be a CDMA version of the iPhone 4s. The CDMA version of the iPhone 4 is model A1349. The GSM version of the iPhone 4 is model A1332. These numbers can be found on the back of the case.

Last edited: