What's new

HELP! Redsn0w jailbreak.

AustenTheDerp

Reaction score
Hey I tried to use redsn0w to jailbreak my iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1, and it kept saying 'ERROR 2000', and It fails, :( please help.

Sent from my iPhone 4

From what I have read so far I think you are suppose to do a restore to stock (fresh from apple) before applying the jailbreak. If you did it that way before the jailbreak then I am unsure of why you got that error.

Hopefully you did a icloud or itunes backup before the jailbreak. Just restore your device back to 5.1.1 unjailbreak (DFU METHOD) then try it again. If you did the restore to original apple stock 5.1.1 before the jailbreak then try absinthe 2.0.4 jailbreak method instead.

Last edited:
Restore...setup as new device...not from a backup.

Jailbreak with Absinthe.

Very stable when you don't restore from a backup.

So no need to DFU mode you can just restore (setup) in itunes as new device or you still have to be in DFU mode?

No need to DFU with Absinthe. Easiest JB yet just follow their instructions pretty simple even I could do it....LOL

HIP5 Nice avatar ZIG

Is there an advantage to Redsn0w jailbreak vs Absinthe?

If you rely on a unlock by preserving a a older unlockable baseband, then use redsn0w and then ultrasnow for unlock, stay away from absinthe if you need to be unlocked on a preserved baseband as absinthe as far i know will not work with ultrasnow. Absinthe is just for Jailbreaking and nothing more can be done.

jimt29 said:

With redsn0w you can just jailbreak A4 devices with all media on it...

With Absinthe you need to restore and setup as new device before jail breaking.

What does it mean "Setup as a New Device"? Does that mean just restore the original apple firmware?

I don't see anything in itunes that suggests setup as a new device?

iphonefr33k said:
What does it mean "Setup as a New Device"? Does that mean just restore the original apple firmware?

I don't see anything in itunes that suggests setup as a new device?

When you restore your device...that's when.

Upon the completion of restore you are presented with the choice of setting up as new device or restoring from a backup.

zig9449 said:
With redsn0w you can just jailbreak A4 devices with all media on it...

With Absinthe you need to restore and setup as new device before jail breaking.

Technically that is wrong. With Absinthe you don't need to restore or set up a new device. You just run it and it jailbreaks with your data intact. Though it goes much faster on a device without large files on it.

zphone said:
Technically that is wrong. With Absinthe you don't need to restore or set up a new device. You just run it and it jailbreaks with your data intact. Though it goes much faster on a device without large files on it.

You need to restore and setup as new or "erase all content and settings" if you are stock.

As you may or may not found out....users have had problems jailbreaking with Absinthe when the device had a lot if media on it...and it can ruin iCloud syncing.

It says this specifically on the Dev-Team Blog.

Last edited:
You need to restore and setup as new or "erase all content and settings" if you are stock.

As you may or may not found out....users have had problems jailbreaking with Absinthe when the device had a lot if media on it...and it can ruin iCloud syncing.

It says this specifically on the Dev-Team Blog.

Although thats is the recommended solution, but for those who are jailbroken already using the delete all content settings on the the phone will usually put it in a non-stop loop cycle.

Now all i bought my iphone 4 may 14th 2012 and was all stock i updated to 5.1.1 a fee days after. Then when Absinthe 2.0 came out, all i did was backed up, made sure the encrypted password was off in itunes for the backup and when Absinthe was to run. Then i ran Absinthe as Administator to jailbreak. Absinthe will do a backup as well when it runs.

It took about 5 min to do.

And i note: I never retored the phone as it was all there jailbroken and all so need for the restore for me as i had nothing on it anyways.

Now for those who have a ton of stuff you can do so this way too as i did, but like noted by me and others it will take a lot longer = some its taken 30 min or more. So its best to backup, restore like new and jailbreak, then restore your stuff.

If jailbroken before this, then make sure to backup your cydia apps before setting up as new device.

XamDam said:
Although thats is the recommended solution, but for those who are jailbroken already using the delete all content settings on the the phone will usually put it in a non-stop loop cycle.

Now all i bought my iphone 4 may 14th 2012 and was all stock i updated to 5.1.1 a fee days after. Then when Absinthe 2.0 came out, all i did was backed up, made sure the encrypted password was off in itunes for the backup and when Absinthe was to run. Then i ran Absinthe as Administator to jailbreak. Absinthe will do a backup as well when it runs.

It took about 5 min to do.

And i note: I never retored the phone as it was all there jailbroken and all so need for the restore for me as i had nothing on it anyways.

Now for those who have a ton of stuff you can do so this way too as i did, but like noted by me and others it will take a lot longer = some its taken 30 min or more. So its best to backup, restore like new and jailbreak, then restore your stuff.

If jailbroken before this, then make sure to backup your cydia apps before setting up as new device.

Yes...you can do it like that. I never said you couldn't.

And said erase all content and settings "of your stock". I know that doesn't work on a jailbrokwn iPhone.

Absinthe is not actually restoring the device to a backup...it's making the phone think the injection of the exploits are a backup being restored from iTunes.

For those who have a ton of stuff on they're phones that have A4 devices should use redsn0w and enter DFU mode.
A5 devices might as well use Absinthe since they cannot use the DFU option. Tho they could still jailbreak with redsn0w if they wanted...it would just do the same thing Absinthe does.