What's new

Help Needed, reset iPhone and lost all data - no iTunes or iCloud backup

jawz_44

Reaction score
I have accidentally factory reset my friends iPhone 5s and they have not backed it up since the middle of 2016 and have now lost a lot of work, photos and contacts. Is anyone able to help/advise on if it is possible to recover the deleted data from the iPhone. we have not started the phone up again as (in theory) we are hoping that the old data is still there until new data is add on top to replace it. Please Help :(

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

If your friend used, iCloud Photo Library, the images will reappear when iCloud is set up. Contacts are tied to email accounts, in most cases, so if you set up the account/s, they’ll also be there again.
Did he use an app for his work? If so: files saved to online storage such as OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive are accessible again after installing the app.

Reactions: 933
Hi do you mean, you have pressed the thumb button and the on/off switch and held them until the Apple appeared ??
If so providing they have password/code then nothing should be lost.

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

If your friend used, iCloud Photo Library, the images will reappear when iCloud is set up. Contacts are tied to email accounts, in most cases, so if you set up the account/s, they’ll also be there again.
Did he use an app for his work? If so: files saved to online storage such as OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive are accessible again after installing the app.

Hi, Thank you for your help!
unfortunately he wasn't using iCloud Photo Library. Would you be able to elaborate a little more on the contacts being tied to email accounts? I do know that most of his phone contacts he didn't have any email correspondence with - I'm sorry I'm not very knowledgeable in the tech area.
He did use an app which has the specific data for that still there, however its more so the contacts, notes and text messaging between the contacts with important information that we are worried will not be recoverable. :(

I'm not sure if I'm making sense or not :/

However I was wondering is it possible with software to directly recover the information?

Hi do you mean, you have pressed the thumb button and the on/off switch and held them until the Apple appeared ??
If so providing they have password/code then nothing should be lost.

if only that was the case. He had the 3 wrong passcode attempts and then wipe your phone setting on - as it is required by his employer - his phone is the exact same as mine and without any cases so I had picked his up by accident trying to get into it and thats when it happened :(
He is absolutely shattered and I'm trying to fix it

As far as I know, most of the software for restoring information needS a backup to get everything back.

If the iPhone wasn’t backed up, text messages will be lost.
The images will also be gone.

This is how it works with iDevices:
When you add a contact, it’s assigned to an email account. As soon as you set up the email account on the iPhone again, and enable Contacts, the people saved to that email address will reappear in the Contacts app. That’s what I meant with “tied to email accounts”.

Please don’t misunderstand me.
If l see my iPhone 5s and another one on a table and pick one up to use, mine will turn on with my thumb or finger print ID.

If not, it asks for my 4 digit code l know that code. It has not changed in years. There is no way l could accidentally reset my 5S it takes too long.
If l was to pick up the another iPhone 5S and it did not react then it’s not mine, simple as that.
What puzzles me is that your friend would also need to have their code or finger print to the iPhone in the first place. What method were they using??