What's new

HELP! Cydia is completly gone/missing!

scodan

Reaction score
iphone 4. 5.1.1 jailbroke with absinthe 2.0.2. i used cydia to uninstall an app & now the app & cydia is gone! all of my apps i downloaded with cydia are still there & my jailbreak is still there. i've tried re-installing 5.1.1 and it gives me unable to restore errors. what can i do? i'm on a pc. thank you.

scodan said:
iphone 4. 5.1.1 jailbroke with absinthe 2.0.2. i used cydia to uninstall an app & now the app & cydia is gone! all of my apps i downloaded with cydia are still there & my jailbreak is still there. i've tried re-installing 5.1.1 and it gives me unable to restore errors. what can i do? i'm on a pc. thank you.

you may have uninstalled a preinstalled package

Last edited:
scodan said:

On your SpringBoard:

Tap and hold on any app icon to enter edit(wiggle) mode.
Press the home button to stop edited mode.

If that does not work:

Do you have iFile installed? (crazy not to have iFile installed).

On your SpringBoard:

Tap and hold on any app icon to enter edit(wiggle) mode.
Press the home button to stop edited mode.

If that does not work:

Do you have iFile installed? (crazy not to have iFile installed).

tried the springboard (wiggle) thing, didnt work. no. i do not have i file. can i get it from the app store?

What app did you uninstall?

Also do you have any programs installed to hide apps?
If so check and see if Cydia is hidden

Also you can't get ifile from the apple app store.

If you go to the Spotlight page and search for Cydia, does it show so that you can launch it? The icon may have gotten moved somewhere ... or hidden.

iFile is a Cydia tweak. If you don't have it and can't get to Cydia, then you can't get it.

Marilyn

I un-installed winterboard. And it AND cydia is gone. Everything works still but I would like to get cydia back. As far as searching for cydia, how do I do that if it's gone?

Did you try a hard set reboot?

You do this by holding the power button and home button down at the same time until you see the apple logo, then release the buttons.

See if that brings up Cydia icon.

Also with winterboard did you use a theme that changed the look of the icons?
if so maybe the cydia icon is a different picture still even though winterboard was
uninstalled.

Did you try the Spotlight search? You didnt say...

You go to the Spotlight page, type in Cydia and see if it shows up. That's the point of doing the search, to see if it is somewhere on the phone but hidden or you can't find it. If it shows in Spotlight, it's there, you just can't find it. If it doesn't show in Spotlight, then Cydia is missing from the phone entirely and you will, most likely, have to restore and rejailbreak the phone.

Marilyn

spotlight search says search web, search wikipedia. the font package is still installed as i couldnt un-install it after cydia was gone. all icons are for their apps. nothing i do not recognize.

Yes. I've done both of those resets. No luck. I would just put 5.1 back on it if it didn't keep giving me error codes and then re- jailbreak it. Is there a way to wipe it clean and start over?

scodan said:
Yes. I've done both of those resets. No luck. I would just put 5.1 back on it if it didn't keep giving me error codes and then re- jailbreak it. Is there a way to wipe it clean and start over?

Yes. You do not want to go back to 5.1. That is not jailbreakble.

What I would do if I were you:

2) I would download the 5.1.1 iPSW file for my device model (download from Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. NOT Internet Explorer) and save it to my desktop.

2) Then I would enter DFU mode, open iTunes, and shift+restore to 5.1.1 iPSW.

3) after restore I would "setup as new" and not restore from a backup..especially the most recent one(you can restore from backup if you want but I don't recommend it. It is wise to not restore from a backup when the reason your restoring is to fix a problem...your better off to choose "setup as new")

4) After setting up as new and not restoring from backup I would then wait for iTunes to finish its initial sync. After the initial sync is done...close iTunes.

5) Then I would jailbreak with Absinthe. Do not touch the device until Absinthe tells you it's okay to open Cydia.

6) once the jailbreak is done, I would open iTunes and sync my apps, music, tones, etc before opening Cydia.

7) Then I would open Cydia, let it load completely, I would select my User preference which would be "Developer" and not "User" or "Hacker".

8) Once Cydia has fully loaded I would then tap on the Search tab and search for "Mobile Substrate" and install it...nothing else. Just Mobile Substrate.

9) Then I would Install iFile. (buy it. It's worth it)

After that I would start installing my tweaks..and be extra careful as to what I install, making sure that everything I want to install is compatible and not going to conflict with anything else I may want to install.

Sorry. I meant 5.1.1 not 5.1. Thanks. I'll give that a try a little later & see if I can get it to go.