What's new

Have you updated to IOS 9?

I keep getting a notice that OS 9.1 is ready to be installed. I am afraid to install updates to anything. Using Windows based computers really instilled fear in me. Every time I installed a Service Pack, it ruined my computer, and I would spend hours and hours with techs trying to figure out how to fix the problems. {{{SHUDDER}}}

Why should I want to update my 5s? Is it necessary?
You should also make sure to disable or turn off any firewalls and anti virus programs before starting, as these can interfere with the connection to the Apple server and cause download errors.

I updated to 9.1 and it's been terrible. My text keeps freezing. In fact the whole phone freezes constantly. I have to put the phone to sleep and open it again. I can barely make it through a whole sentence in a text message before it freezes.

I have restarted the phone 3 times. No help. Please post an update. Everyone I know who has updated to 9.1 is having the same freezing issue!!!

Apple, stop f-int around and fix this before I throw your phone through a wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I updated to 9.1 and it's been terrible. My text keeps freezing. In fact the whole phone freezes constantly. I have to put the phone to sleep and open it again. I can barely make it through a whole sentence in a text message before it freezes.

I have restarted the phone 3 times. No help. Please post an update. Everyone I know who has updated to 9.1 is having the same freezing issue!!!

Did you update OTA? If so, you may want to consider restoring your iPhone through iTunes on your computer. It's possible that your update was corrupted somehow and a restore may fix the problem.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, jchristophercampbell!

Please note that we are just a forum discussing iPhones, we're not affiliated with Apple.

But maybe we can help with your problem with the software.
If you updated over the air (Settings - General - Software Update), try restoring your iPhone using iTunes on a computer. This will install a fresh version of the software on your device. While updating over the air might reveal bugs afterwards, an update/restoring via iTunes is not very likely to do this.

Before restoring, make sure there's a recent backup to restore from afterwards.

After restoring, reset your device: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both afterwards. The iPhone will power up on it's own.
This kind of reset will not remove data or change settings, but it might help preventing some bugs you'd experience otherwise.

Also, the software will need some time to settle in - about 1 day. Minor bugs you're experiencing might disappear after a while.

Hope that helps.

Add that to the huge list of bugs in ios9. I really regret upgrading from iOS 8, which was so super stable.

Many people have the same issue of freezing, lockups, and other odd behavior on Reddit.

I am wondering how many of those with problems updated over the air rather than with iTunes.

Last edited:
I am wondering how many of those with problems updated over the air rather than with iTunes.
Of all the personal people I know with iOS 9 problems, none updated over the air. 2 people did a DFU restore because they wanted a "fresh" start. 3 just pressed the upgrade button in iTunes and let it do its thing.

I've been offered $2K usd to roll back 8-10 iPhones to iOS 8. I understand digital signing, tokens, bla bla bla. Only question that remains is if Apple blows internal fuse bytes in the eeprom when firmware is updated.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, jchristophercampbell!

Please note that we are just a forum discussing iPhones, we're not affiliated with Apple.

But maybe we can help with your problem with the software.
If you updated over the air (Settings - General - Software Update), try restoring your iPhone using iTunes on a computer. This will install a fresh version of the software on your device. While updating over the air might reveal bugs afterwards, an update/restoring via iTunes is not very likely to do this.

Before restoring, make sure there's a recent backup to restore from afterwards.

After restoring, reset your device: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both afterwards. The iPhone will power up on it's own.
This kind of reset will not remove data or change settings, but it might help preventing some bugs you'd experience otherwise.

Also, the software will need some time to settle in - about 1 day. Minor bugs you're experiencing might disappear after a while.

Hope that helps.

Update. I had updated wirelessly OTA. So, I connected my phone to my desktop computer (Mac mini server) and backed up to iCloud, then restored from the backup I had just made.

The freezing seems to have ceased. My text is fast and responsive.

I am not sure why this works (as my desktop also receives it's Internet from wifi), but it appears to have worked.

Thank you for the help!

Update. I had updated wirelessly OTA. So, I connected my phone to my desktop computer (Mac mini server) and backed up to iCloud, then restored from the backup I had just made.

The freezing seems to have ceased. My text is fast and responsive.

I am not sure why this works (as my desktop also receives it's Internet from wifi), but it appears to have worked.

Thank you for the help!

You're welcome. :)

Btw:
I've removed your other posts with the same content.

A week later and my phone is freezing again. Not really freezing, just no buttons work. I put it to sleep, open right back up and I can type a few more sentences - maybe - before the keys become inactive again.

Still no update with bug fixes from Apple. :-(

Maybe you should consider taking your iPhone in for a Genius Bar appointment as what you've been experiencing is not normal after an update to iOS 9.1. If this were a bug in the update, everybody would be having the same problems as you are.

Before taking the iPhone to an Apple Store for the Genius Bar appointment, try the update through iTunes once again, but set it up as a new iPhone without using your backup, in case a problem in your backup is causing the problem.