What's new

has anyone else noticed that iPhone charging cable's tend to break near the connecto

My take is why pay hundreds of pounds/dollars for a quality product like iPhone then connect it with inferior cables that may not be up to the job and in some cases are dangerous, Makes no sense to me.

I did the fix that was posted in the tutorial, and I've found that it works great.
I'm confident that it will stop any future cable failure.

The reason I went ahead and did this fix was due to the fact that I own a lifeproof case. Anyone that is familiar with this case will be able to testify to the fact that the little flap that covers the charging port stops you from holding the cable by the connector to remove it, therefore you inevitably have to pull on the cable, which will eventually cause it to fail.

putting the shrinkwrap on it gives you an extension from which to pull the entire connector from the phone. I didn't re-solder the connector, like the guy in the video did, since it wasn't necessary. I did this fix as a preventative measure, rather than waiting until it broke first.

I came up with two solutions. #1. Be mindful of how I disconnect and #2....
uty2a3yg.jpg

ebyse3y3.jpg

that docking station does not look like it would not work for my phone , because of the case.

that docking station does not look like it would not work for my phone , because of the case.

The Twelve South HiRise stand is adjustible to fit many cases including the Otterbox Defender.

The same thing has happened to all three of my iPhone charger cords. My husband remarked that i should be more careful with the cord. I wanted to hit him. OF COURSE I'm careful with the damn thing. But every single one I've had does, in fact, come apart exactly like how the OP states. Grrrrr!!!

I take a spring out of an ink pen and stretch it out a little and then wind it around the end of the lightening cord and that lets you bend it and then it snaps right back.

That's a great idea.

Odd, happened to my 2 year old cable that I keep by my Chromebook to charger my phone. I just grabbed some electrical tape and securely covered it.

My broke too than I started losing charging time it ended up in the trash I got an Radio Shack brand a lot better built .

Someone posted a hack a while back. The spring from a ball point pen makes a great covering and prevents frays and tears.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this on a lot of iPhone charging cables , and I was just curious to know if others have noticed this as well. The sheathing around the cable tends to break , exposing the wires inside, and then eventually the wires will bend more easily due to the fact that there is no outer cover. The inner wires are quite thin , and bending them back and forth through normal usage will eventually cause the wire to break.

I don't understand why apple wouldn't make the sheathing more durable.
Yeah many of noticed that charger problem and it really feels bad for me. :(

A reminder: the spring thing really works to protect the cable and prevent damage. It works so well I put a spring on the other end as just in case protection.

I've tried the pen spring thing, but couldn't get it on without tearing up the spring. How do you put it on? I usually just tape it up. I use my phone while charging a lot. That's what causes it to mess up. Seems like they could make the cables to withstand the punishment of using while charging.

Sent from CrapaTalk on my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

I've tried the pen spring thing, but couldn't get it on without tearing up the spring. How do you put it on? I usually just tape it up. I use my phone while charging a lot. That's what causes it to mess up. Seems like they could make the cables to withstand the punishment of using while charging.

Sent from CrapaTalk on my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
Have you tried separating one end of the spring just enough to slip it over the cord then wind the spring into the cord and slip it up to the connector?

Last edited: