What's new

Griffin Survivor Case

Has anyone purchased this / can give their input?

I have this coming in the mail today, and wonder if it will be better then Otterbox (thank goodness for Verizon's liberal return policy lol)

Set Your Location

I have it, I will be exchanging it for the otterbox when it is released. I dont really like it all that much because I prefer the smooth outer edges of the otterbox and the survivor has "lumps" on it. I also prefer the look of the black and white otterbox to the all black survivor. I also love the little circle in the back of the otterbox. I believe the survivor will serve its purpose, but the otterbox will serve the same purpose, but will look better while doing it.

Has anyone purchased this / can give their input?

I have this coming in the mail today, and wonder if it will be better then Otterbox (thank goodness for Verizon's liberal return policy lol)

Set Your Location

I have it, I will be exchanging it for the otterbox when it is released. I dont really like it all that much because I prefer the smooth outer edges of the otterbox and the survivor has "lumps" on it. I also prefer the look of the black and white otterbox to the all black survivor. I also love the little circle in the back of the otterbox. I believe the survivor will serve its purpose, but the otterbox will serve the same purpose, but will look better while doing it.

Interesting. I was a little surprised that the iphone otterbox had less protection then the previous ones that I had. Particularly in the openings / slots. Previous Otterbox cases that I had included little mesh filters over the openings to prevent sand and debris from getting in (like if you went to the beach). I noticed that the Iphone one (while a lot less bulkier then ones that I've had in the past), doesn't include these - particularly on the speaker holes in the bottom.

I agree, though - I like the little window for the apple in the back.

How bulky is the survivor?

I dont really think its too much more bulky than the defender. The "lumps" I mentioned that are on the sides and corners make for an uncomfortable hold IMO. I also dont like having to open the camera flap every time I want to use my camera.

I have one and I will also be getting an Otterbox. I don't like the camera flap either and the belt clip sucks.

heres to hoping the black and white otterbox will be in stores by this weekend! I can get it a verizon for the same price as the griffin so it should be an even exchange. I really dont wanna have to order from otterbox then get a refund for the griffin separately.

I'm currently using the otterbox made for the ATT version, which works fine with a little modification. You're right - it is a sweet case.

FYI - Video Review...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYY-TJg6Rd4]YouTube - Griffin Survivor iPhone 4 case[/ame]

This case is a FAIL for me:

1. Clip is laughable. I don't use belt clips, but it's still very flimsy.

2. More bulky then Otterbox. Not so noticible at first, but you can totally tell when typing. The raised bumps get in the way (for me atleast).

3. Camera flap - seriously? At first I really like the idea of a camera flap - but you can't take a picture without HOLDING THE FLAP OPEN. If anyone has figured a way to keep the camera plug open without having to physically hold it while taking a picture, let me know. Not convenient for taking a picture, and ridiculously inconvenient if you're taking several minutes of video. This one is the deal breaker for me.

4. The case isn't felt lined.

What I DO like about it (and I wish I had on the Ottherbox):

1 - Less open holes. The motion sensor, camera, and earpiece are all covered. The speakers are also better protected.

2 - The rubber is thicker and sturdier - which is a double-edged sword, as it also adds to the bulk.

3 - The case is actually designed for the Verizon iPhone, not a hacked up AT&T case, as what Otterbox provides.

This case may work for those who don't have an issue typing with it, and don't use the camera all that often. Also, if you are really really rough on your phone, this case offers more protection then the Otterbox. Personally, the Otterbox is already overkill for me, so I don't need to higher level or protection.

Oh yeah, and when I speak about the Otterbox, I'm comparing it to the Defender.

Last edited: