What's new

Gps

If you use a nav app such as Navigon, which downloads the maps to your iPhone or iPad, you won't need 3g and it won't use up your data plan. However, if you use an app like XMotion Drive, which doesn't have downloaded maps installed, it will require 3g and use your data plan up very fast and expensive.

As per my knowledge, If you use apps like XMotion Drive, It requires the 3G connection & use the data plan very fast or If you use app nav for Navigon, which download the map to your iPhone is does not require 3G plan or data plan. I think you can use it without 3G plan.

I use copilot 8, and excellent it is to

It don't need to use your plan data other than updates and to speed cameras. But tbh i do that at home over WiFi.

CP

Just updated to COPILOT GPS, (which is free for those who have the '8 version), early impressions are very good rework

So far only had 2 issues with selecting a contact as a destination,

1) i sometimes have go go back, then select again before it shows the optional addresses home, work etc.

2) if yo have the 1st address line as
'Flat 1' and the road oi the second line it can't go forward.

claynz said:
Hi, Can I use the iPhone 4 GPS without 3G connection or do I need to use my data plan?

Have you tried TomTom?

Adyhooper said:
I don't think it will add to your bills when you use Gps but yeah do remember if you are using latest update of its flyover maps it will work with 3G connection only and it will charge you. I would recommend you to go with other apps also, which will download all maps to your phone or ipad and after that there is no need of 3G connection.

Adyhooper, what app you suggest?

Dark Dragon said:
Adyhooper, what app you suggest?

DD tbh it is hard to recommend which package to you as it is your needs and your pocket depth that we have no idea on.

I have used TonTom 6 on windows mobile, also a dedicate NUVI, but I use Copilot 8 live which was upgraded for free recently in preference.

aAl the above have maps pre-installed, so can work and route just in the the GPS receiver.

Many of the free apps download maps, this slows performance and will eat your data, but can be more up to date. They would be fine in the UK, but if going abroad data is horrendously expensive, so get an app with installed maps.

crowd pleaser said:
DD tbh it is hard to recommend which package to you as it is your needs and your pocket depth that we have no idea on.

I have used TonTom 6 on windows mobile, also a dedicate NUVI, but I use Copilot 8 live which was upgraded for free recently in preference.

aAl the above have maps pre-installed, so can work and route just in the the GPS receiver.

Many of the free apps download maps, this slows performance and will eat your data, but can be more up to date. They would be fine in the UK, but if going abroad data is horrendously expensive, so get an app with installed maps.

Um, did i say package?, i think i have just said that i want anyone to recommend me a nice maps app with a pre-installed map :), but NVM, thank you anyways CP :)

Dark Dragon said:
Um, did i say package?, i think i have just said that i want anyone to recommend me a nice maps app with a pre-installed map :), but NVM, thank you anyways CP :)

App v Package - WRH!?
Do you want pedantic diction or experienced advice?

You can get 'apps' that download small map sectors as required, or have one single map, commonly the UK & N.I. Or have several maps (plural so a package) added later or bought at the same time for Europe, USA or the whole wide world.

You din't seem to know much about or seem to know what you want, to best help you i'm being informative, covered app's, packages and dedicated devices' - as a package (so to speak).

Sorry i wasted both your, the forums and my valuable time.