What's new

Google Calendar alerts

alant

Reaction score
Hello,
I've always used GCAL on my Android devices and have received calendar alerts just fine (both on screen and sound). This is my first iPhone and I would like to keep using GCAL since I already use it on all of my other devices. I get the alerts on my screen just fine, but I don't get any notification sounds. Please let me know what needs done so I can hear them. Thank you.

You need to go to Notifications in Settings and turn on Sound for GCal. You can choose from a range of sounds.

I just checked.Every toggle under Gcal is turned on already.

If you use Gcal in the built in Calendar app, go to Settings - Sounds, and make sure a sound is selected there.

Also in Settings - Sounds, take a look at Ringer and Alerts at the top. If the slider is all the way to the left, you won’t get any notification sound at all, because they are muted.

Where’s the “built in” calendar app? I installed the app from the App Store.

The built in app comes with the iPhone. It’s the Calendar app. The white app icon that shows day and date.

So I didn’t need to install the gcal app? Do I need to connect the stock app to my gcal somehow?

No, it’s not necessary or possible to connect the Gcal app to the stock Calendar app. Just enable Calendar in the Gmail account in your settings (Settings - Accounts & Passwords - the Gmail account). That will sync the calendar events to the built in app. If you prefer the Gcal app, that’s not necessary.

Under Settings - Accounts & Passwords, the only account listed is iCloud.
At the bottom of accounts under "advanced", it does show "mail", which contains iCloud account information. Do I need to add my Google account under accounts?

Under the accounts setting do you see an item called Add Account?
AA81D716-8C88-4CE6-BDFD-C391778B01B4.png

You can tap on it and follow the instructions to add your G Mail account.

Ok. I added my Gmail account and I received the notification from a new Gcal event. I then sent an email to myself and it never showed up on my phone (sent 15 minutes ago now). What happened? The FETCH is set to Manually. I never changed it. I'd like to receive them as close to when they were sent as possible.

Ok. I added my Gmail account and I received the notification from a new Gcal event. I then sent an email to myself and it never showed up on my phone (sent 15 minutes ago now). What happened? The FETCH is set to Manually. I never changed it. I'd like to receive them as close to when they were sent as possible.

Never mind - sent to the wrong address

Ok, now that I am receiving the alert, is it possible to change the sound? In Sounds, the calendar alert is set to Alarm, but it just gives a 3 note chord. Is that the default?

Ok, now that I am receiving the alert, is it possible to change the sound? In Sounds, the calendar alert is set to Alarm, but it just gives a 3 note chord. Is that the default?
Yes, that’s default. Tap Calendar Alerts in Sounds and select a different alert tone.